THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Best soft nose for American big game?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best soft nose for American big game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
I got an elk hunt coming up this fall in Utah with my father-in-law. It's not a your regular elk hunt in the high mountains, but down in corn fields sitting in blinds. My father-in-law wants to take his 470 and is set on using Bear Claw soft nose bullets, which seem to be discontinued. I've loaded some Hornady DGX loads for the gun and had a blast getting the rifle to regulate. I was just wondering if any of you out there have had any experience with dangerous game bullets on the soft skinned animals we have in America?

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Bear Claws will be just fine. I have shot a few elk with my 308 and noslers. Elk are not tough animals to kill. Just hit them right like anything else. I have shot them with Woodleigh softs in my 300 H&H....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 2 whitetail bucks with Hornady factory softs out of my 450/400 Searcy and they worked fine.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plain old Woodleigh SPs work great in a 470 and are pretty cheap. If you want a wicked bullet try some BBW#13 Non Cons from Cutting Edge Bullets.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of 200 to 325 pound wild boar with a 470 NE double rifle with 500 gr Trophy bonded soilds, and it puts them down for the count like they were hit by lightening!, With a 470 NE double rifle it makes little difference what bullet you use to hit an elk, he will go down and you can eat right up to the bullet hole with the solids! No meat damage at all! The North Fork CPS is another one that will yank the world from underneath an elk or moose from a 470NE! 5000 FPE will not let tem suffer!

Good luck and enjoy useing your double rifle on North American game! It's fun and is fine practice for buffalo hunting in Africa, and OZ!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mac - The bullet won't matter when you smack them with a 470...

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
Agree with Mac - The bullet won't matter when you smack them with a 470...

No kidding!**

** assuming it gets hit in the right place.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hornady softs shoot exceptionally well in my double.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
I got an elk hunt coming up this fall in Utah with my father-in-law. It's not a your regular elk hunt in the high mountains, but down in corn fields sitting in blinds. My father-in-law wants to take his 470 and is set on using Bear Claw soft nose bullets, which seem to be discontinued. I've loaded some Hornady DGX loads for the gun and had a blast getting the rifle to regulate. I was just wondering if any of you out there have had any experience with dangerous game bullets on the soft skinned animals we have in America?

This thread has a lot of useful info from field reports. Though at times conflicting, its insightful. Ivan Carter was asked about DGX on lion and said it worked well on the plains game they took. I suspect it would be the same on elk.
Here is the thread, Ivan's statement about 3/4 down the page
DGX thread

Good luck

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Plain old Woodleigh SPs work great in a 470 and are pretty cheap. If you want a wicked bullet try some BBW#13 Non Cons from Cutting Edge Bullets.

After what you guys have said in the Terminal Ballistics thread, I think one would be very wary of using a Non Con on a meat hunt....

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
North Fork is making a SS in 470 now-and i would also second the CEB BBW#13 NON-CON hit them in the chest you clean all that out anyway.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I drew a cow elk tag for the area surrounding my place. I figure if I don't get a bull with my bow during archery season, then I will use my double .450NE shooting Hornady DGX rounds for the cow. Should be fun and make it a little more challenging than taking one with a scoped bolt gun. The DGX should prove quite effective!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just remember that an unexpanded 470 bullet is what most 270 to 30 caliber strive to reach on max expansion.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just shoot whatever shoots best..even a solid will knock the crap out of an elk in a .470..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't have any field experience with the 470 but in .411 /400 woodliegh's worked great on zebra and baboon.
'

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote