THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy Rising Bite Sidelock Double Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy Rising Bite Sidelock Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
After many years of waiting, and a few stories best told over several single malt scotches around a mopane fire, I took delivery today of my Searcy .500NE rising bite sidelock double rifle. Butch really knows how to build them. He regulated my rifle to shoot 510 gr CEB solids over 104 Gr RL15. The regualtion target that came with the rifle showed ¾" barrel to barrel with this load. I cannot wait to get it out to the range and then to Zimbabwe.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That is just the coolest action ever and a great looking rifle. Congrats!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am jealous Dave. The rising bite action is something I have always admired and you have something relatively unique among double rifle enthusiasts. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice build, Dave.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine should be around the corner, I hope it will be as nicely done!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.That is a fine looking double.It looks well built also.Nice wood,stock shape and color casing.I am sure Butch made it to fit you perfect as well.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, as the Admiral, I'm sure that rifle "floats you boat" :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Any photos of the full rifle?
If you email to me I can crop it to fit

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Well worth the wait!!! Congrats

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Looks great! Any photos of the full rifle?
If you email to me I can crop it to fit

Here you go!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a sidelock double, and a Rising Bite no less!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a great looking rifle! Hope she shoots well for you (sounds like she will).

What's on tap in Zim and when??

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle....now go and shoot some tuskers with it.. Smiler

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So awesome. Can't wait to hear about the first range day.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great rifle in a classic action!

How much does it weigh?

Pity Sam stopped posting here! he would have like that!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Sub, that's a seriously nice piece of kit. Love the un bolstered action. The dark wood really looks good as well. Butch's rifles just seem to keep evolving. Great build!

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Wow! Great rifle in a classic action!

How much does it weigh?

Pity Sam stopped posting here! he would have like that!

The rifle weighs 11 ½ pounds

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHOW-OFF !!! :-)

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
SHOW-OFF !!! :-)

Your vocabulary is coming along. Better than TURD.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice Dave. I'm still waiting on my 375 Flanged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch always puts amazing wood on his rifles. that is just a beaut!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely looking rifle.

Congratulations.

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Predicting the future is usually dicey, but it seems a safe bet that 100 years from now knowledgeable people will still be admiring it. Congratulations, it is there on so many levels. The "it girl" of double rifles!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
I like that rising bite rifle

i have been hearing about it for ever

nice to see it-- how do you like it by now

not just everyone has got a rising bite double

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
The rifle is very accurate and the action is very elegant. It is only the third rising bite rifle that Butch has built.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Exceptionally nice rifle Admiral!

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Thanks Todd - I had Butch regulate it with 510 gr CEB solids / 475 gr CEB raptors over 104 gr RL15. I have only had it out to the range once, and offhand at 25 yds, both loads shot "width of the barrels". Butch does build very accurate rifles. I checked it with 570 gr Hornady factory solids as well. The recoil was a little stronger, and they shot about 1 ½ inches apart at 25 yds. I was pleased.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Thanks Todd - I had Butch regulate it with 510 gr CEB solids / 475 gr CEB raptors over 104 gr RL15. I have only had it out to the range once, and offhand at 25 yds, both loads shot "width of the barrels". Butch does build very accurate rifles. I checked it with 570 gr Hornady factory solids as well. The recoil was a little stronger, and they shot about 1 ½ inches apart at 25 yds. I was pleased.

A good load for sure. I'm shooting those same 510gr / 475gr CEBs as well in my 500NE. Not the standard load but they do one hell of a job!

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun Dave. Congrats beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
in the 500 ne ideal

show us a target when you get a chance

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Really good stuff

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9977 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle and you know it's well made by Mr. Searcy.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Admiral.

After I get back from Africa next month, I'm going to visit Butch just to share some photos from the trip.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Well, here are the initial range results for the Searcy .500 NE sidelock rising bite double. The first target is 4 shots taken offhand at 25 yds. The load is 510 gr CEB solids over 104 gr of RL15, Fed 215 primers, and Jamison brass.
The second target is a left / right with a 475 gr CEB raptor in the left barrel and a 510 gr solid in the right - same powder load, primer and brass as before.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Beautiful and accurate.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'd just be tickled pink! Wonderful groups.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, you have this rifle, and you're planning on bringing a pea-shooting 375 FL on your next Buff hunt?

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, you have this rifle, and you're planning on bringing a pea-shooting 375 FL on your next Buff hunt?

Something inside me has difficulty in putting a rifle this valuable in my checked luggage going through Jo'Burg. As for the hunt, I will most likely take my V-C 450 3 ¼.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely looking rifle and great groups! Congratulations.

I would definitely take it to Africa, where it belongs hunting.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote