New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140.1 worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Came across a Merkel in 375 H&H. Felt great, but wondering what it is worth? No scope mount, nor ,it looks like you can put one on it, without D&T and fabricating a mount. Just been thinking about one for our local Elk.
Thanks

Edit--Its the belted magnum case

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375 doubles seem to sell for a bit less than the same rifle in 470, 450 or 500 NE. I'd think in the $7,500 range.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $8000 for one (private sale, like new, with half box of ammo) that had 10 rounds fired.
Individual needed cash and could not go on planned safari. It shoots well and has mild recoil. Very satisfied.

Eagle One
NRA Benefactor
SCI Life

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grab...they're quite versatile.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They want in the neighborhood of 11K. THOUGHT that it was a bit overpriced. Thanks

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's one on Guns International for $8K.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Is it the belted magnum or a flanged .375? People always maintain that the belted cartridge works just as well but in a double, a rimmed cartridge is preferred. Is is an ejector gun or an extractor gun? I personally prefer an extractor gun but the ejector guns cost more and bring more on the used market. If it is a flanged magnum with ejectors in good condition with good wood, I would say it's worth $8,000-$9,000. An extractor gun in good condition, about $7,500 especially if it is belted magnum gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Is it the belted magnum or a flanged .375? People always maintain that the belted cartridge works just as well but in a double, a rimmed cartridge is preferred. Is is an ejector gun or an extractor gun? I personally prefer an extractor gun but the ejector guns cost more and bring more on the used market. If it is a flanged magnum with ejectors in good condition with good wood, I would say it's worth $8,000-$9,000. An extractor gun in good condition, about $7,500 especially if it is belted magnum gun.

Dave that rifle is a extractor rifle, and the chambering is a belted rimless. Ejectors were not offered in that rifle from the factory, but the late Tom Andrus had a guy who was converting those Merkels to selective ejectors, but I don't know how good they were.

Even with extractors if that rifle was a flanged 375 magnum it would be worth considerably more than it is with the rimless belted chambering. Merkel never offerewd that rifle chambered for the flanged 375 either so $7K is about right. If it were a 375 flanged I'd be interested at more thaqn $7K.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to pick up a really nice .375 for between $7500-8000.

I shoot one and it's the most accurate double I've ever shot. An extractor gun I prefer for anything other than dangerous game.

Herbert at Merkel can install the Recknagel swing out mounts no problem, for around $1100-1200. I like these better than claw mounts, but to each his own.

The gun that's on Gunsinternational for $8000 is a really nice catch, beautiful wood. If that gun could be bought for $7500, that would be a great get.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote