New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE Loading info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sooo, I went to Reds indoor range the other day to 'work' on some loads.
2 shots each (1 Right, 1 Left) all shots measured from center of right bbl hole
H4831SC Woodleigh 500 SP
Shot off a lead sled unloaded (no weight, but a good firm rest)
Merkel 470 NE
Jammison brass (once fired, this gun)
Federal 215 primers

104 (25 yds) left bbl 1.0" L & 2.0" H
105 (25 yds) left bbl 1.0" L & 2.0" H
106 (25 yds) left bbl 1.0" L & 1.5" H
107 (25 yds) left bbl 0.1" L & 0.2" H
108 (25 yds) left bbl 0.1" L & 0.2" L [107 through 109 right bbl went in the same hole)
109 (25 yds) left bbl 0.5" L & 1.0" H
110 (50 yds) left bbl 2.0" L & 3.0" H
111 (50 yds) left bbl 2.0" L & 4.0" H

What say the experts to this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like you found your load, however, you need to shoot the rifle like you will shoot it in the field. things can change from lead sled to shooting off sticks.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree...they don't shoot the same when you sight them from a rest like you can a bolt gun....of course they do recoil less Smiler.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also found out, I can't use the factory sights for crap. There is a halo above the rear sight that causes me to hesitate. (aint that a bad word when it comes to DG?). Where can I get either a replacement Express type rear blade or someone to replace it for me? As well as the front bead?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ at Chamlin's can do the sight work, or if you just want to change out the rear sight, New England Custom Gun has some nice ones. JJ put sights on both my Merkel and my Heym....but the new front sight on my Heym is a touch too high, so I'm putting a taller rear sight on it...easy to drift the old out and fit the new in.

Good luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry...Champlin's....long day.

You also might try a dab of bright red fingernail polish on the stock front sight to see if that helps before you change sights...just to see if you can pick it up better....or bright white. Cheap and you'll know if it helps...plus it's reversable if you don't like it.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should PM maddenwales and me. We live in Austin and love to shoot. Doubles, bolts, anthing with a big hole in it. Clays too.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote