THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Case trimmers for the big boys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case trimmers for the big boys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Didnt want to hijack abother thread so started this one.

After reading BigFiveJack's thread decided to see how the 450 Nitro brass fit on my RCBS Trim Pro. The Trim Pro is long enough to trim the brass but I can not find a shell holder big enough to fit the brass. Looks like even if I cut a spare shell holder open the pins on the trimmer that hold the shell holders are not far enough apart to allow me to use this to trim.

Suggestions? Trim die? New trimmer?

For you guys who reload the 450/400, 450, 470, or 500's what do you use to trim the cases?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm "watchin'" this one...!
popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Forster Classic. It is a jumbo version of their regular one. It uses collet shell holders.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=491968

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I use a Hornady trimmer for my .416 Rigby, .500/.416, .450 Dakota, and .470 NE. It's a pain to get it set right but once that is done it seems to work pretty well.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman Electric case trimmer. Not sure of the model but it works for me up to 500nitro /
505 Gibbs (just).

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hornady might be the cheapest way to go at this point.

But for you guys who use the Forester, what collet do you use with the 450 NE 3 1/4?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

PM Me I have detailed instructions on how to modify an RCBS trimmer to handle 450 3 1/4" NE and 470 NE cases.
I already had an RCBS TrimPro, before I got into big bores, and being an engineer and a titewad did not want to purchase a new trimmer.
It is not very difficult just a little grinding with a dremel and you are good to go.
I have many pictures of the mod, if someone wants to PM me, I will send the pictures by email, and they can post them.

Hope this helps

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I just use a trim die. Its plenty fast enough for me since I rarely reload more than 20 rounds at a time.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an RCBS trim die.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30 year old Forster is too short for .450 NE. I broke down and bought the new Hornady trimmer. It uses the same Hornady shellholder I use to reload the shells. My old Rockchucker is supposed to lack enough opening, but I can load .450 NE using the new Hornady dies. I haven't tried the longer 480 grain Hornady and Woodleigh bullets yet. So far, just 480 grain Hawk soft-nose and 405 gr Remington JFNs.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Forester Classic is inexpensive...will fit any of the NE cases, including the 3.5" ones. Collets and pilots are cheap and you can use it for all of the double rifles that you buy in the future.
Think ahead...is this going to be your last DR??? Trim dies are far more expensive, if you buy one to fit all your different caliber NE doubles.

Just my opinion...
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
The Forster Classic will take cases up to 4 1/8 inches long.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
The Forster Classic will take cases up to 4 1/8 inches long.

That's pretty darn LONG!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Forster Classic for my 450/400. I also have a RCBS trim die, but find the Forster is what I always end up using.

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I emailed Snowwolfe and Bill Cooley the pictures and write up, hopefully one of them posts it for me, and everyone else who already has an RCBS ProTrim and want to modify it.

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the little Chinese lathes. At about $500 they are a bit expensive for brass trimming but they will handle anything including at least 12 gauge. the other side is that you will constantly find other uses for it...

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hear is the info from nitr450exp.

Step 1:

Get Pilot # 9396 (45 Cal Rifle) .458
Get Pilot # 9398 (475 Cal pistol) .475
Get Pilot # 9399 (50 Cal pistol) .500
Get Shell holder # 14 (460 Wthby,45-70) Use for 450 NE (and all 450 NE based cases)
Get Shell holder # 05 (348 WCF) Use for 470 NE (and all 500 NE based cases)

Step 2:
Using Dremel tool, with fine sanding drum carefully, uniformly open the shell holders,
around the U shape until the sized case will fit, making contact all the way around the U.
This only removes a little material (Note the #05 Shell holder is too big for the 450 NE)

See pictures of modified #05 Shell holder below (PS: This is hardened steel, Filing is very difficult)
http://outdoors.webshots.com/p...dQIrf?vhost=outdoors
http://outdoors.webshots.com/p...ZDBOo?vhost=outdoors

http://outdoors.webshots.com/p...gTsLT?vhost=outdoors

Step 3:

Remove pin and Handle from RCBS Trimpro, using allen key, remove hex pan head screw on top of black cover that
holds the spring loaded shell holder clamping mechanism.
Slide the shell holding block rearward, there are six disc springs that are contained it this block, they may fall out.
If the do, when you re-assemble the Trimpro, stack the so they create the tallest stack: ( )( )( ) ,then assemble in reverse order.
The holder block, need to be clearanced, for the rim of the cases, grind 2 flat spots on the inside of the 2 pins,
behind the groove that holds the shell holders, take out enough material until the flat spot matches the reduced diameter of the groove.
See picture below:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/p...hlaOp?vhost=outdoors
http://outdoors.webshots.com/p...dIYlR?vhost=outdoors

Step 4:
Re assemble and start trimming, this will work for all 450 NE class cases and all 500 NE class cases.
See picture below: (470 NE in trimmer)
http://outdoors.webshots.com/p...QtMBB?vhost=outdoors
I can get it to post the links but not the pictures...I may try photo bucket

Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote