New
Find
Notify
Tools

TAA & reddot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
caught a bit of tracks on TV yesterday. guy was using a double with a red dot & it sure seemed to work well for him

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looked like a really neat setup. Definitely interesting and did seem to work well for that guy

Bake

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
you can order your heym that way now from Chris. I believe they use a Dr. Optic site or something similar. I noticed Ivan's 600 that was in Chris's booth last year had one on it as well.

Mac

Posts: 1732 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that was a nice piece of wood on that rifle too!! another excellent show!

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you already have a DR then get a hold of Chris Sells at Heym USA and he'll get you the base and JJ at Champlins will get your rib cut to fit the base, use the Doctor it's got a 3.5 MOA. Had JJ fit my 500 with the sight.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Ganyana has experimented with them and is a big supporter of red dot sights.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was able to look through Bal's at the MI DRSS, it was impressive. As one who is considering the purchase of a double all the while knowing my eyes are not getting better it was encouraging.

Along with that it did not kill the lines of a good double.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried a scope length aim point on my 470 Chapris. It fit well came up fast and the opening lever was completly clear, it weighed next to nothing. The bell on the aim point hit the rear sight when trying to use the claw mounts so it would not be readly removeable.
I put a scope on instead.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Brett I enjoyed looking at Bals Heym with the Doctor Optic on it. It was really not that obtrusive.

Now for a question and your opinions.

I have an ArmyNavy 450NE that is in very good shape and do not want to mill or in other words FU the rib. I have thought a good idea would be to properly remove the rear sight from its dovetail, have Mike Merker make a new rear sight to install with the groves cut in this new sight for the Dr Optic. This way, I would never negate the originality of the gun. Comments on this? I could then carry the optical sight with me and when I wanted to I could quickly install it.

thanks for reading,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
larry

how long is your rearsight, you could get a replacement rearsight from recknagel in germany and have it cut for the 12 mm rip so you could fit the sight base from recknagel as well.

it is a QR base so it is really easy to have it on the gun and if you are going into the bush you can just slip it off.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that red dot sight at the Heym booth earlier this year in Dallas. I then proceeded to the Champlins booth to talk to JJ about making a mount for my Chapuis 470. JJ made the mount and the Docter red dot sight arrived in the mail today. I'll be trying it out this weekend.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there are many that use them and enjoy them. Seems like just something to break at a sensitive moment to me. One of the advantages of using a double is two reliable quick shots from a platform that not much can break on or go wrong with. Replacing an iron sight with a red dot just feels to me like adding an element of risk that detracts from the true value of the double. Now to use one at the range, that would be different matter. But to use one when you are 20 yards from a big bull elephant, I think I would stick with the irons.

Mike

Posts: 21402 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Which model Docter Optic are you guys using? I've been looking and apparently Trijicon now handles them? My first choice at this point is the new XPS EOTech, but I am always willing to look around and listen to those who are using the Dr. Optic.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Which model Docter Optic are you guys using? I've been looking and apparently Trijicon now handles them? My first choice at this point is the new XPS EOTech, but I am always willing to look around and listen to those who are using the Dr. Optic.

Mike,what you have to watch out for is the MOA of the red dot site, you want a low MOA. The Doctor site is one of the original red dot sites and they come in two MOA's, you want the one that is 3.5 MOA, again the lowest one.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed a Trijicon RMR (previous post here from spring of this year) on my K-Gun with an
amber dot after talking with Chris and Ivan.
Very rugged and fast for old eyes. Mike is right you don't need one at 20 yards but for that 75yd stretch shot, I do. I went with the amber due to the fact that son-in-law who also shoots the gun is color blind and cannot see a
red dot. No batteries on the Trijicon. Relatively quick & easy to remove, although I have found it is really fast on target. Iron sights are intact and functional if needed.
Good Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS 450/400 3 in. NE.

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Sounds like there are many that use them and enjoy them. Seems like just something to break at a sensitive moment to me. One of the advantages of using a double is two reliable quick shots from a platform that not much can break on or go wrong with. Replacing an iron sight with a red dot just feels to me like adding an element of risk that detracts from the true value of the double. Now to use one at the range, that would be different matter. But to use one when you are 20 yards from a big bull elephant, I think I would stick with the irons.

Mike agreed, if it's going to be your primary site and you've used the dovetail of the rear site to mount the red dot thus eliminating your irons, it's an accident waiting to happen. As for myself and I believe a few others that have gone to the red dot as a backup site it is great for low light conditions. I am going to be bear hunting next week and doing some elk hunting in the dark timber this fall so I just pack the red dot site on my belt using an Uncle Mike's quick load nylon pouch until low light conditions make it superior to the irons. This January hunting hogs in your neck of the woods with some of the brethren the red dot is coming out when the light starts to fade and it will give me another 15 minutes of shooting light, sure beats the ugly of a scope on a DR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On an original British double I would install a red dot one of two ways.

I would not remove the iron sights.

I would either have the rib "cut" like Heym does, or have the normal claw rear mount put on the rifle. You can get a Doctor Mount that fits in the rear Claw mount base.

The Doctor Otic you want has a 4 minute dot if I remember correctly.

The bigger dots, 7 MOA and up are for combat handgun and combat shotgun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my Merkel 470 to Birmingham and they milled a weaver style base to fit over my rib and drilled,tapped and attached the base. Then you mount the red dot of your choice with weaver mounting system. I had a trijicon but it failed after 40 rounds. Trijicon sent me a new one, but I now have a Doctor waiting to be installed. You can take the sight off very quickly and the base does not interfere with the iron sights. That doesn't do much for me though since I can't focus on the sights anyway.
BTW, in that show the hunter later shot a Buff with the same double with two very quick shots at very close range.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Doctor Otic you want has a 4 minute dot if I remember correctly.

The bigger dots, 7 MOA and up are for combat handgun and combat shotgun.

Tony, it's a 3.5 minute dot...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a pair of Weaver bases for my Chapuis 9.3 X 74. I tried an EOTech on it. It shot well, but sits too high. I then mounted an old Weaver 1.5 with a post retical. This was much better. The rifle regulated with both optical sights. While I was at it, I got rid of the fiber optic rear sight with the stupid U notch, and made a vee with white line sight. The rifle is at JJ's for a trigger adjustment. There is a Leupold 1.5 X 5 waiting for it when it gets back.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, you are correct the DO is 3.5, it is the Trijicon and the Burris that are 4 minute dots.

I never can remember. Confused

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote