THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Opinions on double restoration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on double restoration
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to decide what route to go on my 1922 wilkinson 470. Rifle shoots good and is tight but has a rough
Exterior from hard use in India. I will try to post pics and get suggestions. Either go for shooter minimal resto such as recoil pad and barrel black to full resto r and r stock etc?

It’s a pretty nice rifle and on the heavy side easy to shoot

I even have a Kashmir walnut blank that came with rifle for a new stock.

All suggestions welcome and considered

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello. From a British perspective the barrels on a gun would be reblacked when they failed to serve the purpose of the blacking and prevent them from rusting.

If that was done the first time around it'd probably be just a reblack. Second time around maybe the engraving would...if needed to be...be refreshed.

The checkering again would be refreshed if it failed to serve its purpose. The same as the stock would be refinished if, again, the original finish was no longer adequate enough to protect it against rain.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok understood just do what’s necessary to keep it functional as a shooter. Thanks for the input

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
It depends on where you live.

A restock can cost US$3000 or more. At lease that is what Robert Dollymore ex-Purdy charges here in NZ.

If the stock is sound, I would just have it sanded, steam the dents out, refresh the checkering and finish with Truoil diluted 50% with Mineral spirits. I would sand the oil into the stock one drop at a time with 400 grit and 600 grit sand paper. 10 coats will give an amazing finish - will take half an hour a day for 2 or 3 weeks. Make sure the oil is soaked in and dry before the next coat. I have done 20 coats on 2 stocks - new wood. A new recoil pad would be all you need.

Yes have it reblackened / rust blued.

I am very curious about the Kashmir walnut blank. Could you please post a picture.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to post pics but I am not set up to o can email one if you want or get some help. Yes the blank dies components and load data and snap caps was quite the complete package plus a really nice old gun with history

White Mountains Arizona