New
Find
Notify
Tools

First hunt, Blaser D 99 Duo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Took my new DOUBLE RIFLE drilling to the deer lease this weekend. It is a 9,3x74Rx9,3x74Rx20ga 3".

First order of business is to zero the rifle.
I set up, a target at 60 yards [because that is the max distance of the "pit" near camp].

I shoot it sitting off of my knees.

I shoot it with the iron sights, moving them until I have POI equal POA.

Then I zero the scope a Swarovski 1.3-6x42 with the circle dot reticle.

I shoot a few different loads ,some factory some reloads from my 9,3 Chapuis.

I shoot a few slugs and buckshot, and check the pattern of #6's in the 20ga bbl.

So far the gun shoots OK.
Will test at 100 and farther later on, but the gun is ready to hunt.

I get into position before daylight.
I have 2 Norma 286 gr Alaska factory loads in the rifle bbls and a #2 Buck in the SGN.

Right at first light I see a black form in the brush at @90 yards that I had not seen before.
In the binos it looks like a pig.

As it gets lighter I think it is a pig, then i see it move, then it starts ot "make noise"[eeeeggggrrrr,eeeegggrrr,eggggrrrr.

Suddenly 5 big pigs come into view with some smaller ones with them. One is clear of the others facing me at 80 yards. I just barely turn on the illuminated reticle. I wait until she puts the head down to eat, I am a little above them, and shoot him right through the spine. She goes right down. The others run off.

I wait in place to see if they will return or see if maybe a doe deer will come by.

A bout 15 or 20 min later some turkeys come flying in. I silently remove the buckshot and insert a 3" #6 and shoot one at 33 yards.
I quickly reload, recock, and shoot a second turkey at 28 yards,
They are both down.

I remain in place an hour or so hoping a deer will come by, but it was not to be.

So I gather the turkeys and go over to gut the pig, about a 185 pounder. I decide to walk over to the river first where I see a duck, I squat down, replace the buck shot with a 3" #4 Hevi-Shot, raise up, it is kind of far but I shoot. The duck is hit, and flopping around, I reload run closer and fire again finishing him off. He is in the River and I will have to wait till he drifts downstream a little to get him, so I go back to the pig, reloading the buckshot.

As I aproach the pig a squirrel stands up at 22 yards, I quickly replace the buckshot with a #6 and pow the squirrel is down.

I gut the pig and go back for the duck.

A nutria is trying to get my duck!!
The 44 Mag solves that problem.

So first day afield the D99 has proven its worth.

That evening in a different place I see several doe deer 30 to 35 yards away, but cannot get a shot at one of the bigger ones.

Next morning again at first light I shoot a doe at @ 25 yards in the right shoulder. She goes right down.

I think this Blaser D 99 is going to be a great hunting gun.

All animals were shot with the scope on the gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Now that's just not right. I might have to hunt two years for that kind of action. shame

Congratulations on a great hunt.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Can't wait to see her.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap clap Big Grin

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you're Chapuis 9.3x74R is "for sale" --right!

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D B Bill
No

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I gotta get one of those D99's. I think it will be 20x20x9.3x74R...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll even have my special UPS driver deliver it the check to you "personally".
dancing

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post
so when are you going to invite you canadian friend down to help thin out them pigs.....plus ill have to let you try my new 500 s&w and few other toys.......

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Tony!
See ya this weekend!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote