New
Find
Notify
Tools

would you buy...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A falling block double? Think, like two rugger #1's side by side, with a common breechblock.
Since ruggers are an investment casting, could you not take two of those wax castings and mill half the right side of one, and half the left side off the other and the mould them together? Leave a space in the middle for a dollshead-style middle fastener. Ditto on the breech blocks, with a slot for the dolls head to lock into. Why would this not work, and at less $$$ than a SxS?

just curious...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
bewildered Rich, why would there be any need for a dolls head on a falling block action? As this would not break open like a typical DR.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an picture once of a falling block double in 7x57 made by Martini & Hagn.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
It should not come as a shock to us that Ruger may well produce a double rifle once they iron out production/quality issues with their SXS shotgun. Doubt there is a firearms mfg. today that has more engineering/production capabilities as Ruger, but bottom line is that it must deliver a contribution to the bottom line. Market is very small and very much a niche market with SXS rifles compared to the other types of sporting firearms. Who would have thought Ruger's NO 1 would sell as it does in the land of lever guns and autos!! Just might happen??

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I suppose there's a way to build a falling block rifle with two SXS barrels so it would weigh less than a ton, and be reasonably well balanced and handy. But I believe it would be harder to do this than to continue using break-open actions such as most doubles use today.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a scottish maker (current one) that has a patent and has made a double rifle with a falling block action. had some strange name
with "black" or black isle ....

maybe someone from the uk can help ?

there is no reason it can't be done...... only
the cost to do it may stand in the way.

talk tohubel - he has split the action already so he is half way there

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
I suppose there's a way to build a falling block rifle with two SXS barrels so it would weigh less than a ton, and be reasonably well balanced and handy. But I believe it would be harder to do this than to continue using break-open actions such as most doubles use today.

I think the Martini Hagn came in around 6 pounds. There is a long thread with pictures at NitroExpress.com

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ruger double rifles .....now theres another thread to start.

but will you be disappointing the bubbas who are devoted to believing that remington will be selling them a $500 (used to be $700) 45-70 double rifle.

keep pushing this and you will gather a cadre of "true believers"

all that are interested are still waiting for ruger to produce the 450/400 etc.

don't give up on the double rifle, but then don't hold your breath either. you might turnquite blue.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hog killer,
poor choice of words, perhaps? The dolls head-like center fastener would be a way to ensure square lockup and maintain the spacing between the barrels. Imagine two rugger #1's glued together and the common area between the two. This section would be like an option to separate the breech blocks and add strength.

Just a vagrant thought, some days I think crazier than Boomstick

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote