THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Heym 450/400 with peep - pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym 450/400 with peep - pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some time ago, I told about my 88B with claw-mounted peep. Here are the pics.

88B Safari, with a quite straight comb so it fits when shooting with a scope

With a Swaro Z6i EE in claw mounts

See-through preview...

The claw-mounted peep

Same in position

Raised foresight. The peep is only about 15mm below the scope's line of sight, and the rifle mounts perfectly both with irons and scope

Now, some comments. As seen below...

The Germanic love for straight-sharp-angled shapes is never far from the surface, and the peep's wings can be used to bash a buff's boss inside-out if you run out of ammo... I'm going to hack into this deadly knuckle-breaker before it hits me, and give it more human-friendly contours.

The peep was bored at 1.2mm (50 mil). Probably perfect for an afternoon of 300m target shooting at the range, pretty much useless for fast-sighting of severely dysfunctional critters. Bored it to 3.2mm, got a splendid ghost ring.

The bottom sides of the action also have that German sharpness. You can almost cut paper with them. Will slightly round these too.

The safety is very well proportioned for reliable disengagement. Crisp, good grip, good size. Sides sharp as hell, and right in the way when you want to open the action in a hurry. Ouch. More slanting and rounding of edges there...

Wood is proud of metal. Very proud indeed. I don't really like it. But what I really dislike, is that the "sidelock-shape" part of the grip gets in the way of the trigger finger, and prevents a more natural grip. Will have some stock-refinishing to do. Since the oil-finish is not finished anyway, I'll do that while giving it some more rubbed coats of boiled linseed, and polishing the wood.

But... I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and never satisfied with out-of the box things until I've given them the final touches to get them to fit me. The rifle is great, with a great deal of excellent workmanship put into it. If one wants a perfect-fit double, he can get a Best from a number of makers for just about 3-4 times the money...

As far as I'm concerned, I love working on a good rifle and make it a personal tool, and wouldn't pay someone else to do it!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post

I like that.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Yeah looks cool !
I like peep sights as well,thanks for answering one of my questions though about how quick you can get on to a target with a peep sight versus open sights,I have one coming with open sights & a mount for a Docter optik sight system.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the peep.

Finally, iron sights for old geezers who cannot shoot regular irons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow... What a great idea!
I would also like to know if it is quicker to acquire the target. Did you use the same front sight?
How do you like that scope…? I’m currently using an S/B with out a lighted reticule.
Just one more toy to add.

dancing

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a mount I made for the little Dr. Optic reddot. I have been calling Gary Turner forever asking him to build them. I finally built my own.

Its not perfect, I wish it were about a 1/4" lower. It still works great.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
the peep's wings can be used to bash a buff's boss inside-out if you run out of ammo

jumping

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
with a quite straight comb so it fits when shooting with a scope

Scope or no scope, it's the best thing you could do for a double rifle.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful setup! Congrats!

Josh I hope you like your Red-Dot as much as I do!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I love having that QD reddot. At the moment its mounted on my Martini-Hagn 300 win mag which is my all time favorite rifle. It is a simple matter to move it to the Searcy double and re-sight it.

You can't beat a sight that weighs an ounce. Swap a scope, sights or reddot in just a minute or so. Perfect flexibility.

Talley is going to make a fortune once they get these type of sights adapted to their bases.

take care,
josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73, I was at the range with my good ol' CZ .375, and the Heym. I was shooting irons on the CZ, standard shallow V and front bead.

The peep is noticeably faster in target aquisition, much better in poor light (awful lighting at that indoor range), and I was getting better groups. So much better that I'm coupling a peep system for the CZ too.

375 John, I also have a S&B Zenith. The Swaro is one good step higher up the ladder, in my opinion. And the Center Dot reticle is the fastest things I've seen this side of a Docter-type sight.

Which leads me to... Docter, etc. I was checking a Zeiss holo sight, their last born just coming to the shelves. They have rail mounts from the factory, BTW.

The dealer told me "You know, I'm using the old Zeiss Z-Reflex, and wouldn't mount a Docter, Aimpoint, or new Zeiss..."
http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Z...ot-Sight-Weaver.html

I asked why, and he showed me. If a leaf or twig or other piece of crap collected in the bush gets between the LED and the screen, or just a drop of water falls on the LED, here you are, with a sightless rifle. While the Zeiss Z-Reflex, as ugly as it is, is a closed thing that can't get dirt or obstructions in. Just his 2c, but they make sense to me...

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Phillip, thanks for the pics - the setup looks very nice. Maybe I missed it, but who did the front site and peep work for you?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, I ordered the rifle with the scope from Heym, and asked them if they could fit a peep instead of a standard Express sight.

That was their answer!

By the way, there is still a folding leaf sight that works with the standard foresight. The raised foresight can be removed by depressing a plunger, and a standard bead (supplied) is then slotted in its place... Although this one's line of sight is low due to the straight comb, that's three sights on one rifle, gives you backup options!

Philip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice set-up on scope and sights on a pretty gun. I have the same scope and reticle on a Searcy 375 Flanged.

The sharp corners on gun and sights remind me of the time I attended Gun Site for a Tactical pistol course.

I had Ted Yost build me a combat .45 for the course and it worked flawlessly firing over 1500 rounds in five days.

Part of the package included the dehorning and rounding off the sharp corners of the pistol and Novak sights.

The only hand discomfort I suffered was a small blood blister on the middle finger from the recoil of the trigger guard that occured on the last day.

Other members of the class had fancy custom 45 autos that had Bo-Mar sights and checkered front straps etc, etc. At he end of the week their hands looked like they had stuck them down a garbage disposal while it was running.

They had bandages on their bandages and could hardly hold and shoot their gun.

Being pretty ain't always the best

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Philip, while I guess you could get an obstruction in the Doctor Optic type reddot. How in the world could the Zeiss be any more bullet proof than the Aimpoint? I do have an Aimpoint Comp reddot that I use on various rifles and short of a bomb I can't see a way to disable it.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh, you're correct, my mistake... He probably mentioned Burris, Trijicon, or another open Red Dot/Holo sight that he had on display. His point was about this type of sights, not a particular brand.

Philip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Philip, I understand. The open type reddots do have that failing but they are a perfect back-up/special purpose system.

j