THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Pedersoli Hammer Double in .450 BPE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli Hammer Double in .450 BPE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://jaquas.com/gunlist/Deta...3736&StockTemplate=0

Friend’s gun for sale. Started out as a 45/70, rechambered to .450 BPE by the late Jack Haugh. Id be happy to put the interested party in contact with my friend. He is a super nice guy, and has load data, and dies as well. I’ve shot it, and it is great condition and shot well. I believe it comes with a case.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen this rifle on GI. Nice rifle, the wood isn’t great but I think this would make a great DR at an affordable price.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The seller is an extremely nice guy, and someone who I consider a mentor. He loads for a beautiful A&N .577-450, and could provide load info, dies, projectiles.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:

Friend’s gun for sale. Started out as a 45/70, rechambered to .450 BPE by the late Jack Haugh. Id be happy to put the interested party in contact with my friend. He is a super nice guy, and has load data, and dies as well. I’ve shot it, and it is great condition and shot well. I believe it comes with a case.

I have one of these rifles (serial no 134) that was the first one sold in the USA by the importer who was responsible for these rifles being made in Italy!

This rifle was as all were then chambered for 45-70 and like the one posted here was rechambered to a wildcat cartridge 458 RCBS.
They are well fitted but heavy as an anvil. The ones I have seen made much later are better balanced for weight distribution.

I have been thinking of maybe having Arron little mono block a new set of barrels and chamber them to 450-400 3" with much lighter barrels.
The one pictured in your post looks fine, but I have one question, and that is DOES IT REGULATE PROPERLY with the new chambering?
………………………………………………. Confused, mine didn't after the rechambering to 458 RCBS.

……………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Just this morning one of my friends called and asked if I was interested in his, which is chambered in 9.3 X 74. It is in excellent condition. Not something I really need but it is a beautiful rifle. He was asking 3400. He also made the comment that 9.3 is a hard to find caliber for this rifle. Any thoughts?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Just this morning one of my friends called and asked if I was interested in his, which is chambered in 9.3 X 74. It is in excellent condition. Not something I really need but it is a beautiful rifle. He was asking 3400. He also made the comment that 9.3 is a hard to find caliber for this rifle. Any thoughts?

9.3X74 ammo is not hard to come by! Simply ask your local gun shop to order you a few boxes of Sellier & Bellot 9.3X74R 285 gr bullets and go hunting!

I have two double rifles chambered for this cartridge, and it shoots fine in my rifles, and I simply save the brass and handload for future loads. There are other brands as well available in the USA as well. Five boxes will get you a lot of practice and hunting, and the 100 rounds of brass will get you another three hundred more by hand loading!

The 9.3X74R is only slightly less powerful than 375 H&H flanged. A very good hunting round for North America, and even large plains game in Africa.

…………………………………..Good hunting oldMac

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He means it is a hard to find caliber in this rifle; not that ammo is hard to find.
It is true that the 9.3 Pedersoli is harder to find than the 45-70 version.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
He means it is a hard to find caliber in this rifle; not that ammo is hard to find.
It is true that the 9.3 Pedersoli is harder to find than the 45-70 version.

………………………….. Whistling Gotcha! That is correct the 9,3s are harder to find in the Pedersolis! My mistake! Whistling

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to my friend, if the gun does not sell he will go get it, and we will shoot it on paper. He did say it shot well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 9.3x74 in a double rifle is not hard to find and the new Merkels show up all the time used for a very good price in the $6000 range or less..I suppose one with hammers would be very hard to find..How did we get to 9.3s, from 450 BPE? guess I should read the posts first of all.oh well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I wonder why this gun was re chambered to 450BPE? I would think that there is not much to gain over the 45-70?lower pressure? not that I would be averse to owning a 450 bpe,just curious,it is a nice gun.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

I have one of these rifles (serial no 134) that was the first one sold in the USA by the importer who was responsible for these rifles being made in Italy!

This rifle was as all were then chambered for 45-70 and like the one posted here was rechambered to a wildcat cartridge 458 RCBS.
They are well fitted but heavy as an anvil. The ones I have seen made much later are better balanced for weight distribution.

I have been thinking of maybe having Arron little mono block a new set of barrels and chamber them to 450-400 3" with much lighter barrels.
The one pictured in your post looks fine, but I have one question, and that is DOES IT REGULATE PROPERLY with the new chambering?

Mac,
did you have your gun re-regulated? what load is it regulated for now?

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Mac,
did you have your gun re-regulated? what load is it regulated for now?

No Bill, I didn't because I decided to have it mono-blocked and barreled with 24 in lighter barrels and chambered for 450-400 3"in.

The barrels are as heavy as if made of lead. I have been wanting another 450-400 3 in for some time, and would rather spend the money on that rather than just re-regulating.

However the rifle handled the 458 RCBS fairly well, but the sights will have to be changed to make it usable anyway, I will just wait for the re-barrel with new iron sights, and bases for an optical sights because of my macular degeneration I need the lighted retical to see it.
……………………………………………. old Mac

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith