New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Every year there are a lot of whitetails shot during the Pa hunting season. I shot one this morning.
I wonder how many others have been shot with a .375 flanged??

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the 375 FL, but my neighbor used to hunt the PA Deer season with a pre-64 Winchester African Grade 458 with squibb loads.

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a 375 flanged, but I've shot a couple of Missouri deer with a 9.3x74 double. Great fun. Congrats.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 458 Lott with 405 grainers going 2450 here in Ohio now that we can use a straight wall

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 375x2.5 works quite nicely as does a 577-500. It's good to hear the old dogs bark in the woods every now and then.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a doe draw for our area and chased after one with my J.Beattie and Sons sxs in 450 3 1/4"
The does were not overly cooperative, but once the rut was on, I had a nice little 4x4 buck show up (also had a tag for it) and one shot with the old hammer gun sent a 300 gr. jacketed bullet his way and got the job done!! Perfect lung shot, with minimal damage. Great little meat buck with a century old gun.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost always use medium bores for whitetails. This year I killed my first deer of the season with a custom 375 H&H. I've killed several with the 375 H&H, 9.3x74R, 9.3x63, 350 Rigby and 450-400. I like the certainty of using these calibers for deer. On another note, I have not been on this forum for the last year or so, the deer had the last laugh on me for a while. I was infected with Lyme Disease that became systemic. After over a year of, at times not being able to see or walk on occasion Doctors finally figured out what was wrong with me. I'm now finally hunting again and returning to normal.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I shot an East Texas spike with my 9.3x74R double last fall.
Poor fella never knew what hit him. Knocked him in the dirt. (since he walked right under my stand)

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a whitetail with my 2 3/4" BPE hammer rifle. The one that Buckstix just bought out of the classifieds.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its good to hear that there are others out there actually using their big, old, special, fun rifles!
Makes me wonder why i didn't start doing this years ago.

Steven glad to hear you beat those silly little tics.

Next year V C 450/400, thanks for the idea!

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year's whitetail with a .375 H&H custom I built. Yes a 300 grain partition is enough gun at 8 yards.

And my Muzzleloader muley with my 14 bore William Moore belted ball gun.....that gun makes a big hole.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opening day always sees my 11.15 X 60R German double in my hand. Just as good as the 45-70.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote