THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis claims it's second moose! Photos added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis claims it's second moose! Photos added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
UGEX in 9,3x74R. We called in a medium size moose (49 inches) but he wouldnt show himself for at least the two hours we were "talking". Finally we heard him hit the water in a pond in front of us trying to herd his six cows to the other side and we burst through in an attempt to get a shot. My buddy was shooting a scoped .338WM and missed three times and the bull was almost out of sight when he turned back to look at us offering almost a broadside shot. I didnt want to see him get away so the Chapuis was shouldered and I had time for a well aimed shot. Hit the bull in the left front leg where it then cut a nice path along the side of his heart and continued on to the other side missing the shoulder joint and the bull quivered for a few seconds and then fell over. Measured it with the range finder and it was 187 yards off hand with the factory iron sights. Never did find the 286 grain Woodleigh even though it didnt exit. Laws in the area (Koyukuk) we were hunting requires we carry out the quarters intact so I didnt spend much time trying to find it.
Who says doubles cant be acccurate?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Done.

The more you use the 9,3 Chapuis, the more you will like it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Nice shooting.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Well done Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Great job snowwolf.

I'm off tomorrow for an AK double rifle hunt of my own. I'll post when I get back.

Your winter will be a little wormer with all that tasty moose. I saw a lot more moose last week than I've seen in years. I guess their coming back.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Good job Snow Wolf!!!
I hope to some day draw a moose tag here in Maine.
I will most likley use my Chapuis also.

BTW I also pulled the trigger on one of Butch's field grade doubles. Sent the check today, like you I wish I did it sooner. Got a 470 coming!!!

PS post up some pictures if you will, I would love to see the moose and the double

Thanks in advance

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very excellent, but we need pictures!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, just goes to show those double rifles don't work worth a shit in Alaska! Congrats, man. Great shot!
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first photo is of a fat happy old man with his familys winters meat supply. The Chapuis is laying on the moose antlers:

http://i26.photobucket.com/alb.../mooseandchapuis.jpg

The second photo is of the meat rack we build in camp every year. I do believe there were six bulls hanging up when this photo was taken:

http://i26.photobucket.com/alb...owwolfe/meatrack.jpg

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a nice moose and a very nice shot! thumb

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Snowwolfe!
--------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe
Well done.

Akshooter

What double and what are you hunting?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis 9,3x74R shooting 286 grain Woodleighs. Hunting Alaskan moose, of courseSmiler

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice tender one! Good Going!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next time I see you Mike will pass along a few tidbits from the kill once Indian Valley finishes the processing.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Very cool! clap
I'm just a bit out of your way from there too. I might even show you the toychest.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote