THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis UGEX - 30R Blaser or 8x57JRS ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis UGEX - 30R Blaser or 8x57JRS ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been thinking of ordering a Chapuis UGEX in either 30R or 8x57JRS.

Anyone have one in either caliber? My most important consideration is to be able to reload for it so finding brass is a consideration. Grafs sells 8x57JRS so that part is easy.

How easy is it to find a regulation load for either of these calibers? Concerned they may be regulated with bullets not found easily in the states.

The 30R Blaser has an upcharge as well, is this due to the higher pressures of the cartridge? How does a double perform with this round?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Just make sure that they lower the comb this time!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing a red dot will not cureSmiler
Or a rasp and some Truoil.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about the 7x65R? It's a 280 Remington with a rim and bullets would be easy.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Have you thought about the 7x65R?

+1

However, it is not exactly a 280 with a rim. It is performance wise, but not quite dimensionally.
I shot the biggest deer I have ever taken with the 7x65R. I once read that it is the most popular cartridge in Europe.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally, my plan was to stay with a .308 or .323 if possible. Been told Chapuis will use the ammo specified when regulating the rifle so need to find out what ammo can be bought in France as well as the states before committing to a caliber.

Did a search and came up empty on 30R ammo. Seems Norma sells both the 7x65R and 8x57JRS in the states so might have to forget the 30R choice.

Does anyone have a double chambered in 30R?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57R is a nice cartridge and although this will conflict with Grenadier's statement I was told that it is currently the most popular double rifle cartridge for new guns right now in Europe. I have only used it on boar and it did a real good job with only mild felt recoil.
You could have it regulated with Norma ammo and not have problems finding factory ammo in the US.
The 30R is a step up with more energy than a 30-06....but only RWS loads ammo, and new RWS sporting ammo is near impossible to find in the US at this time since the importer (RUAG) does not think there is much market for this type of sporting ammo in the US. Brass (new and once fired) however is readily available.
My understanding was the 30R was designed to clean up the chamber of the rimless 30-06 chamber on gun having ejection/extraction issues with the rimless case.
I only know one person using the 30R in the US. He had a Valmet rechambered if I remember correctly. I think he likes it, next time we talk I will ask him his experience.
I personally do not need another mid size double for my self but will admit that I keep looking at the 30R and trying to to rationalize a need.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess there is no real reason to go with the 30R considering the animals I hunt and the ranges they are shot. With Norma ammo being imported to the USA the 8x57JRS makes a logical choice. Although finding it in Alaska might be a chore.

UGEX's run about $4,500. For you Merkel fans out there, does Merkel make a rifle comparable to the UGEX for the same money?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf, the Merkel 141 will probably be closer to $6K or better.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would much prefer the 7x65R or the 8x57R, simply because it is much easier to fine ammo and brass in the US.
Both of these are great hunting cartridges.

However, I also think the 9,3x74R to be a great choice as well, especially in Alaska.

A double rifle in any of the calibres mentioned would be a great hunting rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Thought they might of cost more since the Merkel guy never answered my pmSmiler

NE 450 No2,

Already have a 9.3 UGEX. Can't decide on the 8x57JRS or the 30R. The 30R is interesting just because so few people in the USA actually own one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought you did.

I handled and shot a 30R Blaser when I was in Germany. The case looks very good.
It is a shame that the rimmed European cartridges are not more readily avialable in the US.

That is one reason, when I found I really liked the Heym 26B O/U I bought one in 30/30. I can get ammo for it anywhere, and here in Texas it is plenty enough gun for deer and wild pigs.
Just a couple of weeks ago I shot 2 wild pigs and a deer with it. It has become one of my most favorite hunting rifles.
You might even take a look at it, it is avialable in all the calibres we are talking about and it is a lot lighter and handier than a Chapuis. I love my Chapuis 9,3x74R, but this little Heym is a joy to carry and shoot.
Its scope mound is QD and goes back to zero 100% every time.
I would hunt black bear over bait with it as well, heck I would not be afraid to hunt leopard, mountain lion or wolves with it either.

Since you already have the 9,3 I would take a look at the 7x65R, it is the equal in the field of the 270 Win/280 Rem, or the 8x57R, which is a great hunting calibre. The choice depending on exactly what animals you will hunt, or run into with it.

If you know you can get enough 30R brass, there is nothing wrong with it.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Tony, are you going to have your 30-30 in the booth in Dallas?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decided to go with the 30R Blaser and it should be here by April. Once fired and new brass can be found easily. Dies are $145 and a custom order.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I've been told that the 8X57JS dies are the same just get a rimmed shell holder.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yes, the dies are the same. I use them to load my 8X57RJS. Nice round!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Finally decided to go with the 30R Blaser and it should be here by April. Once fired and new brass can be found easily. Dies are $145 and a custom order, but so are the dies for the 8x57JRS. Should be an interesting rifle, now I just need to find a use for itSmiler

What weight bullet will your gun be regulated with? Are you going to have it regulated with a scope at the factory?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
180's, and no to the scope regulation. Might add a red dot later, maybe even play with it scoped as well. It should be an interesting rifle to develope loads for as I have a lot of leeway to go either up or down in bullet weight. Much depends on how well I can shoot it with the stock iron sights out to 150 yards or so.

Some guys have been able to add scopes later without regulation issues, some have tried and have issues. If all else fails and I want a scope can send it off to JJ for work. Should be an interesting project, ordered the dies today as well. Have an open mind about this going in and not sure what to expect with a small double shooting 180's at about 2,800 fps. Should give me a lot of range time to figure it all outSmiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Should make a real good hunting rifle.
Keep us posted on how she shoots when you get her.