THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hoening rotary, what do you think?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoening rotary, what do you think?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful engineering, but, at $28.5K I will pass.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Looks like the action face/firing pins rotate with the barrels??

Posts: 1438 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have often looked at them over the years and will say that it looks simple and very well designed and built. Compared with other doubles of the same quality it is fairly priced as well.
Without ejectors however I don't think it is a rifle for a PH.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I've seen these in person and they are an engineering marvel; perhaps over-engineered and unnecessarily complex.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have often looked at them over the years and will say that it looks simple and very well designed and built. Compared with other doubles of the same quality it is fairly priced as well.
Without ejectors however I don't think it is a rifle for a PH.

Agreed! that thing is hell for stout and is certainly well machined, however, I'd hate to have to reload that thing for shots three and four with something closing fast on me. Of course with that chambering about the only thing that you would be in that sittuation with might be the cats, and there speed is even more important but with the cats your not likly to get off shot number three anyway!

If chambered for larger rounds like the 450s or 500s it still wouldn't be my choice, but to those who like unusual rifles this one is very well made and I suppose properly priced.

......................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have played with them a few times. Pretty cool but pretty slow to reload.

Mac

Posts: 1734 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Great machine work, awesome fit and finish. Very well built rifles, BUT I have to agree with McKay. They are very slow to reload.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The guns are built like the finest swiss watches. I visited with George at SCI and it was fun to see people's reaction to how the guns work. George is among the very best and most capable builders we have ever had, period. He told me he will be making numbers 61-65 this next year. There's nothing like them and no one like George; thats what makes them so neat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:
Great machine work, awesome fit and finish. Very well built rifles, BUT I have to agree with McKay. They are very slow to reload.

What would you know about quality work anyway? I heard they took your tire iron and Dremel tool away for good this time. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first met George about 1978. He can imagine things, and then make them. If I owned one, I might practice reloading a few times before I went hunting.

By time anyone I have ever met fires two shots at DG and then has to reload; his ears will be ringing from the shots his PH has fired...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

By time anyone I have ever met fires two shots at DG and then has to reload; his ears will be ringing from the shots his PH has fired...

Rich, that hasn't been my experience. I've posted a few video clips on AR showing two shots followed by a reload and I've never had a PH fire a shot yet. My buffalo video from this year shows several reloads. If you're talking about reloading while taking a charge, I can see that but not simply putting in a few extra shots.

BTW, it is a very cool looking rifle but seems overly complex to me. Maybe more of a novelty than a hunting arm?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, it is a very cool looking rifle but seems overly complex to me. Maybe more of a novelty than a hunting arm?

His rifles have taken elephant so people for sure use them. I have seen and heard many stories of folks using them on elk. Let;s not forget, Africa ain't the only place you can shoot a double.

As far as overly complex, when George designed it, he wanted to leave out anything that might be a problem in the future and simplify things so that there is no superfluity. Notice there are always double triggers and there are no ejectors. George told me when he was at Pachmayer, he saw so many failed single triggers and ejector systems that when he decided to build his own they simply wouldn't be on the gun. George puts so much thought into his rifles and executes them to a level of perfection that yo simply do not find anywhere else.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

His rifles have taken elephant so people for sure use them. I have seen and heard many stories of folks using them on elk. Let;s not forget, Africa ain't the only place you can shoot a double.

As far as overly complex, when George designed it, he wanted to leave out anything that might be a problem in the future and simplify things so that there is no superfluity. Notice there are always double triggers and there are no ejectors. George told me when he was at Pachmayer, he saw so many failed single triggers and ejector systems that when he decided to build his own they simply wouldn't be on the gun. George puts so much thought into his rifles and executes them to a level of perfection that yo simply do not find anywhere else.

Baxter,

I have to admit that I don't have experience with the design so my opinion is not an informed opinion in this case. On the surface, it doesn't seem to be a rifle I would be interested in. But that could change if demonstrated to be field worthy. Still, it just seems more of a novelty to me, although I can certainly appreciate the mechanical "art work" involved.

Nice to meet you at SCI BTW. Always nice to put a face to a name. Did you have a good time?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Wood to metal fit is excellent and that is important in my book. However, I can't see Sutherland, Taylor, or JA Hunter with this in hand.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wood to metal fit is excellent and that is important in my book. However, I can't see Sutherland, Taylor, or JA Hunter with this in hand.

I agree 100%. Keep in mind the double rifle is just an option for this design, he also build vierings, drillings and combination guns and only in rimmed calibers. he does lots of Krags and has even done at least 2 in 17 HMR. I would have one in 9,3 x 74 and another in 303 British if it were up to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what about the price? Is $28.5K what they go for new? Hunter may not use one himself, but I think he would have been intrigued if one of his clients showed up with one!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had though most were O/U but it seems this one is SxS.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The last  price I heard from George was 25,000 for a double rifle or shotgun. 50,000 for the vierling.

DR - All of them are O/U, they shoot as O/U and load as S x S.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares what a PH uses or does not use?
Is that a reason to judge anything?

This round action design major lock up components are that difficult to make but the ergonomics of loading and unloading are not so hot.

It was once said we sometimes flaunt our abilities. We are often smart enough to make a bad idea work.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I care! Not that their opinion would be the sole determinant, but I suspect that they use their gun quite a bit more often that I do, and hence have pretty valid opinions. I am not aware of any PH's that are paid to use a particular double. They may get a discount however!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Well, I care! Not that their opinion would be the sole determinant, but I suspect that they use their gun quite a bit more often that I do, and hence have pretty valid opinions. I am not aware of any PH's that are paid to use a particular double. They may get a discount however!
Peter.

A lot of client hunters can shoot better than their PHs at paper targets, however, when the chips are down and when it is appropriate for the PH to fire his rifle, his long experience with the game animals he guides for, and his long use of his rifle, makes the difference.

Many of the PH’s rifles usually look like it has been drug behind the hunting car, but in my experience most work like quick silver through a tea strainer! Though not rifles I care to own in most cases, most work well when needed.

The type of rifle is usually a bolt rifle of some sort, and in a lot of cases the owner couldn’t tell you if the action is push feed or control feed. Never the less I’d far rather have the PH behind the scruffy rifle, in a crisis, than most client hunters I know with brand new shiny rifles that he has fired maybe 20 times. Then there are few PHs who carry fine double rifles that are very well cared for, and most that I know can shoot them very well.

So I guess what I’m saying is, a PHs opinion on just any rifle you can mention doesn’t impress me much. Most serious shooters I know probably know far more about the important features in a big game rifle than the average PH, especially in regard to double rifles. The PHs who do know a lot about most types of rifles still have to settle for what is available, rather than what they might want to own.
.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Sutherland, Taylor and Hunter are all dead --- and so are the great game fields and the Africa they knew.

Which is why so many folks cling to the nostalgic old rifles and cartridges. It is much the same as the east coast buckskinners using flintlock long rifles for deer hunting. Or folks who like old Winchesters & Turnbull restorations, or Sharps re-creations. They were, and still are, valid tools that serve to connect us with the past.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hendershots has that guns twin for sale for $25K. I guess thats what they go for. Very sleek looking!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
We all romanticise a little about our double rifles, If we did'nt we probably would'nt have ever shelled out the big bucks for them.

If you like traditional doubles by the old British makers then a Hoenig probably isn't tne gun for you.

The British by nature are traditionalist while inovation is part of the German mindset. What that means is a gumaker with the German heritage of Mr. Hoenig (althow he is a US citizan) it is in my opinion that that makes it a traditional rifle even though this thing never existed before.
The quality of workmanship is second to none and even though reloading may be a little on the slow side the enginering and desing achive solutions to problems traditional doubles are plaqued with. I don't think this rifle would ever come off face.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I handled one in the past and it felt as though you have to actively hold the gun closed while shouldering it.
It was empty of course, so I have no idea if they close or stay closed more securely when loaded. Doesn't seem like it would make any difference though.
I can imagine, in a DG situation, running after (or away from) a wounded animal with your rifle in your right hand pushing through brush with your left and while pulling up to face the animal you realize in horror that your gun is open and the shells are AWOL!

Posts: 3248 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote