THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Opinions!: Merkel 141 vs Chapuis double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions!: Merkel 141 vs Chapuis double rifle
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have any experience between the small frame Merkel 141 and the Chapuis UGEX double rifles (in either 30-06 or 9.3x74R)? The Merkel is more expensive and wondered if they're "worth" the extra money. Thanks in advance!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think the 141(e) is lighter and more handy than the Chapuis.

The real advantage that I've found is that I can regulate the rifle to a change of ammo, instead of regulating the ammo to the rifle.

I've changed loads about 10 times with my Merkel and never took more than 12 shots to get it to shoot to 2" at 100 yards... and then adjust the sights to where the bullets hit.

I also really like the set trigger for the right barrel. It makes a 200 yard shot a gimmie.

Chapuis rifles are also very well made, but using factory loads of different bullet weights and brands just isn't an easy option. You almost have to reload or stick with what the factory regulated the gun with.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,
how heavy is your Merkel ? can you adjust both windage and elevation with the adjustment mechanism ?
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I think the 141(e) is lighter and more handy than the Chapuis.

The real advantage that I've found is that I can regulate the rifle to a change of ammo, instead of regulating the ammo to the rifle.

I've changed loads about 10 times with my Merkel and never took more than 12 shots to get it to shoot to 2" at 100 yards... and then adjust the sights to where the bullets hit.

I also really like the set trigger for the right barrel. It makes a 200 yard shot a gimmie.

Chapuis rifles are also very well made, but using factory loads of different bullet weights and brands just isn't an easy option. You almost have to reload or stick with what the factory regulated the gun with.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I don't think it weighs 7 lbs with a Leupold 1.5-6x scope. It is a joy to carry.

The instructions for regulation to ammo are very simple. The right barrel is fixed and the left barrel adjustable. There are two Allen wrench holes in the wedge, one above the other.

To regulate, for instance, if the left barrel is low, one turn of the top screw clockwise and one turn of the bottom screw, counterclockwise, shoot and check results. Repeat if necessary... Left barrel shoots left, then one turn of the top screw to the right, then one turn of the bottom screw to the right.... and so on...

It ain't rocket science. I did run out of regulation for some load... I think it was a heavy Norma with a TUG bullet?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

posted Hide Post
Seems like the Merkel rifles are about $2000 more than comparable Chapuis. Do you think the adjustability and quality merits it?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think you will be able to find much better deals on the Merkels than you suspect, lowering the difference to $600 or so.

posted Hide Post
No luck in 30-06 though. But let me know if you find one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 141 and my hunting buddy has a Chapuis. I have shot both guns many times. The Chapuis has a much higher build quality but the Merkel has many nice features. I personaly like the light weight and size of the Merkel. It is 6lbs 15oz without the scope and 7lbs 13oz with a 1X4 Leupold. But with 320 woodlieghs the recoil is far more stout than a 375 in a 9 lb gun. The adjustable regulation is a great feature. I would look both guns over and handle both as much as possible. Neither is a bad choice, it just depends which you like better.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote