Find
Notify
Tools

.510 bore brush
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
What bore brushes do you guys use in you .500 NE's???

Ones made for the .50 BMG???

I like nylon brushes and am having a hard time finding .510 nylon brushes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Check Brownell's and Midway, that's where I get mine.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy .510 brushes but I often use 12 Gauge NYLON brushes because they are so flexible, they easily go down the bore of a 50 cal.

12 Gauge one's are also a heap cheaper than 50 cal brushes.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
If you can find a 28 gauge shotgun brush you should be good to go. I use 20 gauge bruses on my 600.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
check sinclairs. I believe they have them.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Kynoch sell good ones made out of bronze. They also sell brass cleaning jags.

I believe that they are made by Parker Hale. They have a non-standard thread and seem to fit only Parker Hale rods.

Trader Keith's sells them, and also the rods.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Gee, I thought I was behind the times. With solvents that get rid of powder and brass/copper, not sure what use a brush might be.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Gee, I thought I was the times. With solvents that get rid of powder and brass/copper, not sure what use a brush might be.

I know what you mean, but I find sometimes a good scrub with a brush helps
"loosen up" crap in the barrel.

I also use Wipe Out Patch Out copper remover that is good and can benefit
from a bit of foaming up - makes it keep working and last twice as long as well !!!

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you are right. I have a jug of methylamine acetate (I think ... how soon I forget), whatever it is in Wipe Out, and I just squirt it down the barrel. The day after it is pretty much clean.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You're suppose to clean your rifles?

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not sure it is all that critical for minute of ballpark like I shoot. I hate to think how long the copper built up in my old .280. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
No matter what I have tried...I find I need a bore brush with a patch soaked in Sweets to get rid of all the copper and sometimes I use a little JB's on a patch wrapped around a brush.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
No matter what I have tried...I find I need a bore brush with a patch soaked in Sweets to get rid of all the copper and sometimes I use a little JB's on a patch wrapped around a brush.

Try some Wipe Out Patch Out - strips all the copper fouling out
without the awful smell of Amonia AND importantly, you can leave the
stuff soaking the barrel overnight (which you can't do with Sweet's
unless you want a potential pit in your barrel !!!).

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.a...ooglebase&mc_id=8000

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...e&utm_campaign=10612

I've been using KG12 on my guns for about two years -- including 500NE Woodliegh( not much copper), 300RUM TSX, MRX (lots of copper), etc, 405 with bronze bullets (pretty gold rifling Big Grin), .308 with Bergers-- and so-on.

I have gone almost entirely to nylon brushes and find little need for bronze brushes these days except in my lead shooters.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Run a bore snake down the bore once a year and squirt it with a little WD-40 and go kill something with it. Spend the time you spend cleaning, shooting and you will be far better off in the long run.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Run a bore snake down the bore once a year and squirt it with a little WD-40 and go kill something with it. Spend the time you spend cleaning, shooting and you will be far better off in the long run.

Mike

lol

2 things my rifles will never see unless I drop them in a mud-hole and those are all I have...is a bore-snake and WD-40.

I try to never miss a day bustin a cap though Wink.

Have already shot my .500 NE quite a bit Big Grin!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM