New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis 9.3 x 74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a like new Chapuis from one of the gents here on AR last year. And after a trip back to Chapuis to correct a "doubling" problem, I finally decided to see what this little beauty would do. I got some Recknagel bases and rings from Subsailor74 and mounted a Leupold 2.5 x 8 on it to help these old eyes. This is the group I shot at 100yards with Norma factory 286 grain ammo. Seems to me like it ought to work just fine.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice Shooting Rick!!!!!!

clap

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Admiral. I have to admit, after Todd's story of regulation after scope mounting, I was almost dreading trying it out but it seems to shoot very well. I'm happy.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
after Todd's story of regulation after scope mounting

There you go....listening to TODD again! :-)

Posts: 20119 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Those "little" guns keep calling my name.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's a shooter Rick. At 100 yards as well! Who says a double is just a 50 yard and under weapon! You're ready for the "Double, Double" safari!

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine will do the same thing. The only difference is about 5 more inches vertically between the holes.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Curious, in the picture is the left barrel on top? Same question Bayou Bob. Reason I ask is that on my Chapuis at 100 yards I get the left barrel shooting on top of the right barrel. The two barrels have essentially the same vertical line, the distance is horizontal.

Mike

Posts: 21348 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, sir! I actually shot the right barrel first and it is the top shot. Verified it before I shot the left barrel. I was very concerned after the heyday that Todd had after mounting a scope on his 9.3 but I am pleased. Now I need to see how my handloads with the CEB's shoot in it. Obviously, mounting the scope didn't affect regulation much. hilbily

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Still interesting that the dispersion is along the vertical axis and not the horizontal axis. Not what you would expect.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left barrel is on top with mine.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really guys, I'm not lying. shocker
For a scoped double to shoot under an inch, with factory ammo, at 100 yards, I'm ecstatic. I may not even bother with loading for it. The factory Norma, what I suspect it was regulated for, shoots very well. I may just hunt with it. I bet it will work just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! I've only had two Chapuis's in 9.3. Both shot better than I can shoot. I can't hold steady enough off sticks or off my knees to keep shots that close.

A piece of good advice I was given here early on was to shoot the right barrel at one target, the left at another. Shoot the right first, left second. Allow the barrel to cool. Do again, and again until you have a total of five from each barrel. Overlay the targets and you will know how close the regulation really is.
Congrats
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was off sticks at 100 yards. I was a bit shakey and the left barrel trigger is about 12 lbs and long with massive amounts of creep. I think if the triggers were cleaned up, it would definitely be a really fine shooting double.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it is a great shooter. Hard to tell really though with two shots. I really think it takes shooting at least three rounds out of each barrel to get a good sense of how a double is shooting. Conclusions are tough to reach with two shots since so much could be serendipity, particularly off of sticks with what sounds like an atrocious left barrel trigger, given such a small data set. But perhaps you did some more shooting and this target is consistent with others. I have been doing a lot of experimenting with 9.3x74R loads. Have shot Todd's load as shared, shot some Northfork FPS and CPS loads over the weekend. Also have some 286 grain Swift A Frames, 286 grain Barnes solids, 320 grain Woodleigh PPSN and 320 grain Woodleigh FMJ on the way. Working hard to see if I can get comfortable taking it in June.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have mounted a scope on a total of 4 double rifles with absolutely no problems. I check practically nothing at 100yards with iron sights as I can't even see the target well at that range especially the iron sights be they fixed or aperture. The rifles were an Otto Geyger 8x60R ,a Chapiuis UGEX 9.3x74R, A Merkel small frame in 8x57R and a Valmet in 9.3x74R. All shot very well with the scopes mounted and did not move 50 yard zeros to any extent. All groups were well under 1 1/2" at 50 yards. The 8x57R Merkel was frightenly accurate and small group. The mounts were MAK and the scope a Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5. The scope on all others was the same. The mounts on the 8x60R were custom using Leupold Dual Dovetail rings, the Chapuis had Ruger rings using custom bases machined from Ruger ribs and fit into factory cuts in rib of Chapuis. Valmet had factory mount. I found absolutely no problems installing a scope on any of them. The MAK swing mounts were and are particularly good and they make them for almost everything and their people are very helpful in any problems.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
I mounted the scope on mine, and it went from shooting decently with iron sights, to perfect level vertical, but 6-8 inch spread at 75 yds.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote