New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standing rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know several have posted in the past about standing rests for shooting doubles. I just saw where Caldwell is making their Dead Shot rest in a standing version. I have one of the small tripod models and love it. I think the standing version will be perfect for shooting doubles. Cost is about $215 so not too bad.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe you are talking about this, Sam. Looks interesting, but too much weight to take into the African field. Would work for practice, 'tho and for working up a load.

Regards, Tim

Caldwell Magnum DeadShot FieldPod

The Original DeadShot FieldPod was the first true "Hunting Rest" on the market. The Magnum FieldPod brings the same benchrest accuracy to the field with some great new added features. With a maximum deployed height of over 60 inches it can be used from a standing position. This rest also works superbly from a sitting position directly on the ground or from a chair. It can even be used in a prone position with the legs spread to a wide base position. The Dual-Framed upper legs and oversized extrusion profile of the lower legs lock rigidly with a quick cam lever. Independent angle adjustment of the legs and spiked foot inserts ensure a solid grip on any terrain. An integrated bubble level in the aluminum hub allows rest to be precisely leveled. Ultra smooth rotation and tilt adjustment allow fast and precise target acquisition. At approximately 13 pounds and collapsed to 30" the Magnum FieldPod remains highly portable for easy transport. Carry strap included.

Achieve Benchrest Accuracy When It Counts Most...In the Field
◾Maximum Height Adjustment Range (18" to 60")
◾Configure for use Prone, Sitting or Standing
◾Lightweight Aluminum Construction
◾Ultra-Stable Dual Frame Construction
◾Quickly Folds to a Compact Carry Position
◾Innovative Design Fully Supports any Gun or Crossbow

Magnum DeadShot FieldPod

MSRP $269.99

Battenfeld Product Item Number #488111

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Yes this is what I'm talking about. I don't shoot off sticks hunting but this does look like it will work for load work and practice. I'll let you know how it works as I have one coming today I think. Mine was $219 from Cabelas.

Sam

posted Hide Post
I made some out of 3 pieces of bamboo, worked great. The same basic thing your PH will have

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Board, gei.

I prefer to shoot offhand when I can while hunting, Sam, but will use the sticks if the situation calls for it -- or my level of skill isn't quite up to an off hand shot. Master Hunting Guide always has a set such as gei described along.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said I thought this Caldwell standing pod would be a good standing rest for load work. A good steady standing rest is needed when making sure a load is regulated properly. I never said it would be good for hunting as it is way to big for that.

As far as shooting sticks they work fine for helping steady your aim but they do not support the rear end of the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my purposes, a standing rest with support for the right elbow (RH shooter) makes a world of difference for load work-up.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Like I said I thought this Caldwell standing pod would be a good standing rest for load work. A good steady standing rest is needed when making sure a load is regulated properly. I never said it would be good for hunting as it is way to big for that.

As far as shooting sticks they work fine for helping steady your aim but they do not support the rear end of the gun.

I thought it was not a good idea to rest the rear of the gun on anything while working up loads. Can you please clarify Sam as I am working up loads for the first time.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't rest any part of the gun including the rear.

Held in your hands with your elbows rested.

Personally, I like to be able to push forward
and put my thigh and gut up against the standing
rest if possible.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using a standing rest it is best to have nothing but your elbows and forend hand touching the rest. You and the gun should be able to move. Perfect world. Now this rest may not be what I'm talking about but I think its worth a try. I have one now and will test it out. When developing loads I use a bench and sand bags. My forend hand rests on the front bag and the butt on the rear bag. I can't tell hardly any difference it shooting this way or standing offhand.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried out the Caldwell standing Dead shot tripod today. It works really well and I think is the best standing rest I have used to date. If you want to see how your double is shooting at longer ranges from the standing position this is it. Very easy to hold your sights still.
This thing is a big bulky tripod and is as heavy as those used by surveyors. Not good for carrying on a hunt but I think it is perfect for working up loads and testing at longer distances. When using this rest you don't touch anything but the front and back rests. Your body is free on touching anything. I put a towel on each rest and then had my forend hand resting on the front rest.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I think I'll get one of those. Lots to be gained by eliminating as many variables as possible when trying new components and loads.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote