Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140 AE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Does anyone know of any Merkel 140 AE’s in .500 NE that are available stateside? If so, I’m interested in hearing more.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one off here a while back. I like it for the money plenty good enough and don’t have to worry about hard use in the field or losing it

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Herbert at Merkel USA. He should know what dealers they may have shipped to recently.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The Merkels are increasingly hard to find. They do not seem to be making or shipping them. Herbert and Einar have not been able to get me any for a year or 2. I picked up one here from "one of us". She is a very good working gun. I would hate to sell her and go to a finer gun, that probably won't shoot near as good.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
James West Firearms in Texas has three new 140AEs but they are all 470 NE..

I love my 140 in 416 Rigby and would have already bought one of those 470NEs if reloading supplies were easier to find and not stupidly over priced..

I will probably still end up buying one of them at some point LOL!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Guns International...sooner or later one will show up.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ejector models are a relatively recent upgrade, and seem to be much harder to find.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mines an ejector .500. Zero issues functional accurate and a trijicon base fits the rib for an RMR. No issues with wood quality. Goes good with my Wilkinson .470 extractor gun. You can see the latter was a much “fancier” gun in 1922. But if I lose the merkel that can be much more easily replaced. The merkel is pretty tight and needs to be shot more to break in. But heck that Wilkinson is still tight as a bank vault after 100 years and hard use….

White Mountains Arizona

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Maybe consider a 470...

Both calibers share the same frame size and barrel contours in the Merkel, so the 500s are actually lighter than the 470s. This means the recoil from a 500 Merkel is substantial!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s at least a pound or more lighter than my large frame Wilkinson .470 which is 11 1/2

White Mountains Arizona