Notify
Tools

Unfired…..really?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gentlemen:
I get kind of annoyed when I read ads for rifles (double or any other) that state, "unfired," as if to say the rifle is 100% new.

How can this be? Rifles from the UK and many other countries have proof laws which necessitates firing and in the US rifles are shot for both target and safety considerations. Doubles are shot also for regulation.

I saw a Weatehrby and a Savage at the gun show last weekend with "unfired" on the tags.

Is there such as thing as a truly unfired rifle or is it just me?

Cheers, mates,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to smell idiot in the air around such claims too.

Just exactly how does a man 'unfire' a rifle..?

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
I tend to smell idiot in the air around such claims too.

Just exactly how does a man 'unfire' a rifle..?

Same way he unrings a bell.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The "industry standard" for "unfired" is accepted to be that gun which was only test fired at the factory, boxed up and shipped for sale. The expectation and acceptance is there that all guns are test fired at the factory prior to shipping. Every new gun purchased comes with a fouled barrel from said test shot(s).

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Jorge is, of course, correct, as we all know well.

However, I think Cal makes a good point. For me, the real irritant is to read an add stating the rifle is "NIB" and has only been fired 10 times at the range!!?? Confused HELLO!!! A rifle is either NIB, meaning, literally "New In Box" and unfired, excepting for those factory test shots. If anyone outside of the factory has fired even ONE shot, then the rifle is no longer NIB.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
noted and agreed!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It means never having been fired by the consumer after it left the factory. It is a common term in the industry, as you know.
Just like a "new" car always has a few miles on it.
But it can't be NIB and test fired at the same time. I see the term "As NIB" sometimes. ANIB, meaning, the consumer has fired it.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And in most sales rules "New" means never before purchased at retail. If the seller bought the item at retail and is offering it for sale again it loses the label "New." It may not be used but it no longer considered "New." Having been once burned on a "New" rifle I am always suspicious. Just tell me it is used and it's condition and I'll try to judge the level of risk.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
dpcd-

I think you failed to correctly read the definition of NIB in my post, or else you dropped a word in your post. So let me try to re-state:

NIB: New In (the) Box; as received from the factory after being test fired BY THE FACTORY.

This is the condition of "new" firearms as received from the factory by the end user, which may be a government entity or a consumer via a FFL dealer.

ANIB: No such thing. A term made up by sellers wishing to sell a used firearm as an "almost" new firearm.

USED FIREARM: Any firearm having been removed from the original factory packaging and then fired, for whatever reason, including as a demonstrator.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is it if the consumer takes it out of the box, fondles it, but does not fire it, and puts it back in the box?
Lion not sure what you mean; I agree with you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What is it if the consumer takes it out of the box, fondles it, but does not fire it, and puts it back in the box?
Lion not sure what you mean; I agree with you.

I would call that ANIB.

A lot of people buy a gun, maybe handle it some, but never shoot it. Then they trade it in on something else.

The term "never fired" would also apply here IMHO, as I consider the term "never fired" to mean it has never been fired since it left the factory.

I have also seen the term "handling marks only".

To me this would indicate a gun that has been handled some, and recieved a few minor dings cause by getting it in and out of a safe or maybe being on a dealers shelf for a while.

The question I ask myself IS, the "description" attached to the gun True and Correct.

I have some guns I have hunted with quite a bit and they still look ANIB, or "handling marks only". However IF I used one of these terms to describe the gun it would not be truthful.

Another term comes to mind, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I agree; when I see ANIB it better mean it looks exactly like new with absolutely no dings on it or wear on the bolt. The wrapping might have a couple of new folds in it. I bought a Colt SAA years ago and it was listed as un fired. It was...but the previous owner had cycled the cylinder about 1000 times and the cylinder had drag marks on it, which is death on a new revolver.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Excluding factory proofing, a fired rifle is a used firearm. nothing more nothing less.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Rifles proofed and or regulated in England, whether bolt, single or double are done so in the white and then regulated and finally finished after passing proof.

To me unfired means other than at the maker/factory.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

I actually did believe we were in agreement but your sentence "But it can't be NIB and test fired at the same time." is what caused me concern, because, as we all agree, every firearm is test fired at the factory before it ever leaves. I'm sure you meant "...test tired by someone other than the factory...".

Interesting about the revolver issue you mention, and absolutely correct that turn marks on a revolver cylinder, whether fired or not, makes it definitely other than NIB. Used, IMO and virtually no collector value.

Just for reference, I have a John Wayne Commemorative Winchester that I purchased new some 30+ years ago directly from a dealer. I took it from the box at the dealers to visually inspect the exterior wood and metal to ensure there were no blemishes in the finish. I then put it back into the box. The dealer never touched the rifle. I have kept the rifle in the original box (with all papers), which shows some wear after all these years, and I have visually inspected it periodically to ensure no corrosion. I have never worked the lever action nor pulled the hammer to the cocked position. Someday, if I decide to sell it, it will be advertised honestly as NIB. Likewise I also have some S&W revolvers and pistols NIB with unturned cylinders and unpulled slides, which I also consider NIB. I have sold personal firearms as NIB in the past when they meet that definition, and will do so again.

I would simply suggest we all do ourselves a favor and refuse to accept or use the term ANIB, because it means absolutely nothing in the marketplace.

BTW, as relates to the John Wayne Commemorative rifle, the dealer had just received 6 of them and called me off a waiting list. I was the first to arrive and discovered two of the rifles had consecutive serial numbers. I wanted to buy the pair but simply didn't have the money at the time. I still regret not putting them on plastic. Frowner CRYBABY 2020

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Then what is "never fired" like this one? Bolt face looks untouched!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Brows...ng.aspx?id=706057073

Posts: 3860 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
CAVEAT EMPTOR.

tu2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote