THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Duplicating the Norma 9.3x74R Factory Load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duplicating the Norma 9.3x74R Factory Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
My Chapuis double rifle came regulated for Norma 285 Gr Oryx factory loads. Despite my reloading attempts with Woodleigh, Nosler and Hornady bullets, I have not been able to match the accuracy of the Norma factory loads. Norma lists reloading data for their 201, 202, 203-B and URP powders for the 285gr Oryx bullet, but I have never loaded with Norma components. Have any of you used these powders in loading for you 9.3x74R doubles? Also, do any of you have any experience with using the 285 Gr Oryx bullet on African game?
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis was regulated with 293gr TUG's.
I use 65gr of IMR 4831 with 286 gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids, 286gr Nosler Partitions and 285gr Hawk bullets.

I do seat my bullets out a little longer than factory length. My Woodleigh Softs are at 3.700.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis was also regulated with the 285 Norma Oryx. It regulated for me with 57 grains of Reloder 15 and a 286 grain Woodleigh RN SN or a 286 grain Hornady.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
286 gr Woodleigh softs and 286 PT's. 63-65 grains of IMR 4831. Fed 215's

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi my Chapuis was regulated with Norma 286 oryx.I regulated it with Reloader R15 55gr. And a Barnes TSX 286gr oal 3.668 And a Barnes 286 banded solid with R15 53.5 gr. Oal 3.626 Muzzle vel.2260
I love it and the 286 TSX did a great one shot job on Buffalo in Zim in June.
Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have responded with load suggestions. It looks like nobody out there uses Norma powders. No problem - I worked up a good load using Hornady 286gr spire points, WLR primers, Norma brass and 67gr of H414. It prints 2.2" right barrel to left at 100yds. I am hoping this load will also work with Woodleigh protected point and Barnes TSX 286gr bullets. This will be the challenge for the next couple of weeks at the range.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Subsailor:

On was on the Chapuis site this morning and a thought occurred to me. I have a UGEX. I think you said you have an RGEX. If so, there is a difference in barrel length. Mine is 23.6 inches. Yours is 22 inches. The Norma Oryx ammo makes 2362 but that is out of a 26 inch barrel. My gun regulated at around 2250 fps. Because of the shorter barrel, yours may regulate a little more slowly.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I obtained my Chapuis as previously owned rifle. It seems to be a european model that isn't quite like the ones I've seen on their site. 23.6" barrels. Metal pistol grip cap with firing pin well. Has extended tangs. It has very little engraving ... scroll around the edges. Stock cheekpiece is sort of like a hump back CZ.

Had no information on the regulation load.

How do you find out what it was regulated for?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Mstarling - regulation targets came with my rifle, and the load used for regualtion was written on the targets. Ken Buch at Kebco LLC may be able to provide more info on the loads typically used by Chapuis for regulating their doubles.
Mangwana

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Mike
I believe if it was imported for the purpose of retail sales then it would have the name of the dealer stamped on the barrels. Mine are under the forearm. If it is not marked the it would have been imported by an individual.

I wish the factory would list the regulation details on these. Unlike most of the big bore doubles, these small or medium bore guns have several factory bullet weights to potentially regulate with. Can be a real pain in the ass trying to figure these out if you are not the original owner.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis is similarly stamped under the forearm. It was imported by Blackbern LLC, the company run by Ken Buch's son in Williamsburg, Va.
Mangwana