New
Find
Notify
Tools

DRSS Question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Colin Stolzer is building me a Paradox Gun on a ten gauge magnum SxS. Does that qualify as a DR?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Of course it does. When you've got slugs in it. Birdshot makes it a shotgun.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind though that even with bullets in it it is still a "shotgun" for the purpose of hunting in shotgun-only areas. The best of both worlds!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You just keep adding doubles to your collection, don't ya, Rich! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the details of the rifle/gun?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Colin Stolzer is building me a Paradox Gun on a ten gauge magnum SxS. Does that qualify as a DR?

Rich

I don't know ... kinda small ... Wink

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich

Yes! They are called Paradox. or Explora bore doubles! are you building a ten ga Paradox, or a 12 ga Paradox on the 8 ga action?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Rich, I find myself shooting my "Paradox", so to speak, guns alot more than my regular DR's, because my "Paradoxes" are drillings. A JP Sauer 12x12x8x57 that gives me 3 effective shots using the Federal Tru-ball Slugs. The other is a Merkel 16x16x8x57JRS, which I usually load with one slug and one #6 shot. It's amazing what things I can find to shoot on a "deer" hunt. Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you already have a 9.3x74 Chapruis
if so you are already a member.MY rule of thumb is to Be care full of any group that will have me !You might want to think about that!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am a member. I have a Searcy 470 NE. I am just down to one these days.

Judge Jerry and his lovely wife Sydni came down about a week before I went to RSA this April, and I thought I would have to pat them both down before they left. She told me then, "When you get back, that Chapuis is MINE!!!". I need to change the picture, since that trim little double now resides near Salmon, Idaho.

They kept after me this summer and fall, and left me $$$ and took it home last month.

I always thought the Paradox would be THE perfect firearm for a big bore safari in Africa, since none of those countries have an issue with bringing a shotgun in.

Rocky Mtn is making twenty 10 gauge Magnum headstamped cases, based on chamber casts Colin is making. He called me this morning, my PMO arrived, and he has me a 36" barrel ordered, based on my NEI mould 790-960. .791" cast diameter, and 960gr.
NOTE: they will make cases to fit your chambers on big bores, and machine the case neck thickness to fit your mould. So, buy the mould first.
He is going to part two 5 1/2" pieces off and make 5" long choke tubes. He will counterbore the muzzles, and thread them. We will be able to develop a load under 2" at 50 yds, and then be able to turn the chokes in or out to regulate. One standing rib. He laughed this morning and told me he had wanted to expand his business into "the small bore arena & this would be a good start..."

Rusty,

I am trying to keep up with you. See details above.

CCMDOC,

I figure I can make my money back renting the bores as a storage facility for those peashooters of yours! moon

Gatsby,

the shotgun is a Spanish SxS, originally a ten gauge magnum 3.5". The proof marks indicate 20,000Psi proofing. I will start with BP, and hope for a 1650fps MV. Perhaps a little duplex.

At 50 yards I will take my chances against anything, Africa or elsewhere. My PH will have the insurance policy, I hope, if needed.

I figure I have two or three trips left to the Dark Continent left in me. I am hoping for a rematch with Cape Buffalo in a year or two.

regards to all,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What will the final configuration be; weight and barrel length? How much choke (bore measurement) in the rifled tubes?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
CCMDOC,

I figure I can make my money back renting the bores as a storage facility for those peashooters of yours! moon

Rich

Eeker
hilbily

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silly question! (Crew served weapons are not allowed Big Grin )

Way to go Rich!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello ISS.

Here is a picture of your future cartridge...RMC 10bore brass + NEI 960-790 bullet( on the right)

Here is 10 of them:LOL

Its gonna be interesting to see if 5" will stabillize a bullet. True Paradox bullets were spinned of the rifled muzzle yes...but were also working like an airgun pellet...it was drag stabillized. Thats why too much velocity would ruin the accuracy. I think you would be needing fully rifled barrels for shooting real bullets. NEI does make a 10bore paradox bullet. Looking foreward to follow progress of the project Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally poste

Its gonna be interesting to see if 5" will stabillize a bullet. True Paradox bullets were spinned of the rifled muzzle yes...but were also working like an airgun pellet...it was drag stabillized. Thats why too much velocity would ruin the accuracy. I think you would be needing fully rifled barrels for shooting real bullets. NEI does make a 10bore paradox bullet. Looking foreward to follow progress of the project Smiler

There were several different projectiles used in rifled choke guns. The later long range capped bullets were nearly cylinders with the long aerodynamic nose cone. In any event Holland regulated their 10 and 8 bore paradoxes at 1500fps the same velocity as their fully rifled 10 and 8 bores.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the first part of this project arrived today.

This is the barrel blank I ordered for this project; .775" Bore, .794 groove, 1:44 Twist, 35" Long, 1.250" OD unturned blank.

The bullet sitting in the end of the barrel is a 185gr, .45 just for reference.

Now if ISS gets the rest of this project sent... Big Grin

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I held off a day or two so you could enjoy Christmas with your family, and this is what I get...

It all goes out today.

Rich

Gatsby, my thanks, 1500fps we shall aim for.