New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R Regulation Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there are quite a few here that have 9.3x74R DR's. I'm wondering what the most accepted regulation load is with 286 grain bullets. (I'll be using RWS brass, 286NP's)

I'll be using them in a Chapuis that's been regulated for the Norma 286 grain load...

Thanks,

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DM,
Norma says that the Oryx 285 grain 9.3X74R has a muzzle velocity of 2362 FPS. So take your partitions and work up to a lod that is close to the 2362.
I think that Chapuis regulates their 9.3X74Rs with that ammo.
I would think that you would have a shootable load lower in velocity than the published FPS.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I recomend you take a look at the Norma web page for loading info. They list two loads with Norma powder that should get you started. I had the best luck with RL-22 and H4831SC in my Chapuis. You will have to adjust the load for the Brass you are using. Some brands of brass have greater cace capacity than others. My 9.3 is very accurate and was not difficult to load for.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my 9.s doubles were regulated with 286 grain loads. I can't remember what the velocity was of the Browning regulation load. It was in m/s and I didn't record it. It shot to POA with both barrels with Norma Oryx at 75 yards. The Chapuis was regulated with Norma Oryx 286. My Sauer drilling also is spot on at 75 yards with Norma Oryx at 75. It's too old to have been regulated with that load.
I'm currently messing around with Accurate 3100 to get a little lower pressure load that shoots to regulation and puts a little less wear and tear on my drilling.
Bfly
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis was regulated with the Norma 286 gr load and I have had outstanding results with H4831 SC along with Hornady, Nolser partitions and Norma Orxy bullets. You just need to dial in the right charge to get the proper velocity. My regulating charge of H4831SC has run somewher between 65.5 and 66.2 gr depending on the powder lot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 9,3 Chapuis was regulated with RWS 293 TUG.

I use 65gr of IMR 4831 with 286 Woodleigh Softs and Solids, 286 Nosler Partitions, and 285gr Hawks.

I can use the same zero for all out to about 250 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My velocity with the Nosler Partitions is @2225fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Perugini shoots 286 Woodleighs over 53.5 grs of 4895. They have been very accurate to 200 yards.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys...

My goal is to have a 270 Speer load for low cost practise, and the 286NP's for hunting where i need a tougher bullet. Actually, the Speer load should work for much of what i hunt these days...

If need be, i can swage some copper jacketed bonded core bullets too... I still have a few thousand type L 1/4 hard tubeing that i swaged into jackets, and are ready to swage into bullets... I'd really rather buy bullets though...

Thanks again,

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote