New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 NE off the bench
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How bad is the recoil of a 10 lb .470 off the bench? I want to shoot my new double but the weather is bad. I want to shoot off sticks but the indoor range doesn't allow it. Wait until the weather clears or brave the bench?

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RX

Doable, if you set yourself up correctly.

You can mitigate the effects of the recoil
by making sure you sit a bit more upright,
don't crunch down etc etc.

Allow yourself to flow with the recoil.

A lot of benches are too low so I build
them up so I can sit more upright.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
+1

Sit upgright and manage the reciol naturally. The more you lean into the rifle and fight it the greater the felt recoil.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't suggest doing a heap one after the other.

The cumulative effect of the whiplash will only show the next day.

Try to achieve what you are trying to achieve
with the minimum amount of shots instead of say the usual 10 shots / pairs per string, try 4 or 6 if you can.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I's heresy anyway; and unsporting as well, old chap. Stand up and shoot them like they did in the old days.
If you must, (and I do) sit as upright as possible.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
RXG:
You have nothing to worry about. The recoil of these doubles has been vastly blown out or proportion over the years. I shoot my .600 from a bench and even the 8s and 4s. I would recommend a bench high enough so your body can roll back a bit with the recoil rather than a low bench that will see you bent forward and crunched down. When you have it targeted then shoot off hand and/or over sticks. Unless, that is, you bring your bench on your hunt!
Cheers and good shooting.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
RXG:
You have nothing to worry about. The recoil of these doubles has been vastly blown out or proportion over the years.
Cal

I agree! I shoot full house loads out of my 470NE double sitting in an office chair shooting out the tiny low window of the tower blind shooting wild hogs for practice.

Just make sure you get a good grip on the wrist of the rifle and a solid purchase on the trigger you are pulling so you don't slip and strum the other trigger and get a double discharge. You'll be fine!

................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! Mac and I agree on something. And some folks say miracles don't happen!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I agree with you as well, especially the over blown portion.

But I er on the side of caution as a 40 or 50 yer old 15 - 18 stone person is vastly different from a young pup who weighs a lot less.

And more and more young people are getting into DR's !!!

Just my HO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.A.S.T. is your friend!

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Piece of cake man! It won't be what you'd consider pleasant, but not anything beyond a grown man's capability. I do advise to listen to the others here that state avoid leaning over, down, and onto the rifle. Go with the flow and you'll be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I'm just itching to shoot this thing and the indoor range is so much easier and convenient at the moment. I do have a PAST pad and will wear some gloves. At this point I want to see
How well this thing shoots. I will mark the holes with left and right so I know which is which and also make note of the front blade position in the rear sight notch .

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
RXG:
Post the targets when you are done for all of us to see.
I'd recommend leaving the PAST pad at home as you won't need it, won't wear it when hunting, and it will change your length of pull and how you shoulder the rifle.
Good shooting.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't that big a deal. I do it with my 500 NE when checking the zero of the Doktor Optik.

Arrange you rest so you can sit up as much as possible.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 470 NE is more like a 12 gauge w slugs than a 300 Weatherby. Doable.

PAST is your friend if you are checking regulation of loads or rifle zero.

If you can arrange it, a standing rest is more comfortable. Allows your upper body to roll a bit with the push.

If you are practicing, sticks may be a better choice.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay preliminary report before I have to go to work. I ended up only shooting 5 rounds at a range of 25 yards. I was forced by the design of the bench to shoot off of my elbows. I shot two groups from left and right. The first group I held the bead dead center and the shots were 3 1/4" apart and 3 inches high. The second group I held the bead with a 6 o'clock hold. Those shots were dead on in respect to elevation but about 4 inches apart. The 5th round I used the same hold and it was about 4 inches to the left using the left barrel. I called it quits after that because I was starting to get a headache.

The bottom line is that while shooting indoors off a low bench wasn't pleasurable I lived through it.

Now that I know how much the rifle recoils I need to do a proper work up by really learning how to shoot a double. I know for a fact that I was flinching and while understandable it certainly didn't do much for accuracy.

I do honestly believe that the rifle is capable of better accuracy, I just need to learn to shoot it correctly. I'm not put off by the double; I need to learn to master it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and I will post a picture later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new rifle.
I know you probably already know this but don’t let the forearm touch the front bag. I would also make sure the rear isn’t touching the bags or bench. The idea is to let the rifle recoil like you were standing up.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
" I called it quits after that because I was starting to get a headache."
-----------------
LOL, that reminded me of my dad, years ago when I was pheasant hunting with him. He had a new pump 12 gauge mag. very light for caliber, when in mid-day he said the same thing. That was unusual for him, because he could shoot rifles all day long, and he loved shooting--he was vet. from marine corp who fought the Japanese all the way to the occupation of Japan, so he shot his military .30-06 a LOT during war. Never mind that I was shooting a 10 gauge mag. during that same pheasant hunting trip; had no headache. Through the years, I have become convinced that small framed light weight guys can handle recoil much better than big heavy weight guys; no offense to them, it is just a fact of physics. Yet, this doesn't seem true with Cal, for I know that he is built more like a football center, yet he says no problem shooting the large bore stuff, unless he is hiding the truth---lol--no offense, Cal.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Holy crap! Mac and I agree on something. And some folks say miracles don't happen!
Cal

............................................................... jumping

Cal we agree on a lot more than you know! First and foremost, on double rifles being the only rifle that started life as a HUNTING rifle, while all others started life as war weapons. The double rifle has had a limited use in wars, but as only a specialty weapon. All others were used for hunting AFTER they were designed for war.

....................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most I have shot in a 470, was 14 rounds off the bench. The difference is that the rifle weighed 11.8 pounds and was actually a pleasure to shoot. I also used a PAST recoils buffer that slipped over my shoulder. These really help. As another member stated, "the recoil has a cumulative effect and you may notice later. A 10 pound 470 is a bit light in my opinion. I had a 465 Holland Dominion grade that weighed 10lbs, 4 ounces and was VERY unpleasant to shoot! It also had a nasty habit of doubling if you pulled the left trigger first!!! What fun!!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luvtoreload:
The most I have shot in a 470, was 14 rounds off the bench. The difference is that the rifle weighed 11.8 pounds and was actually a pleasure to shoot. I also used a PAST recoils buffer that slipped over my shoulder. These really help. As another member stated, "the recoil has a cumulative effect and you may notice later. A 10 pound 470 is a bit light in my opinion. I had a 465 Holland Dominion grade that weighed 10lbs, 4 ounces and was VERY unpleasant to shoot! It also had a nasty habit of doubling if you pulled the left trigger first!!! What fun!!

I agree! My 470NE double weighs in at 11.4 pounds and with full loads will get you attention if you don't get it set right. A 10 pound 470NE double would be a real hand full of the bench especially if sitting slumped.

................................................................... faint

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should take a 22 with you and pull off 20 or so rounds between every 2 with the 470. For me this keeps the flinch at trigger pull from developing. I have never shot my 470 off the bench and have no interest in attempting such but understand your situation.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How does the rifle fit you off hand? If it fits you well and you can "roll with the punch", I guess you will be fine.

If it does not fit you well and hammers your cheek off hand, then it might break your cheek on the bench! Frowner

This is my opinion based on shooting Sam's Chapuis 470NE!

I can still remember the swollen cheek!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of enjoy it, which makes me wonder if I'd like getting tied up and whipped.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can do about 45 to 50 rounds through the .470 off the bench. I can do about the same amount with the .458 Lott or the .500 NE. Not particulary pleasant but my bench is a little lower than I would like. Set it up as high as possible and roll with the recoil.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I can do about 45 to 50 rounds through the .470 off the bench. I can do about the same amount with the .458 Lott or the .500 NE. But MMmmmmyyyyyy shpeach getz a little slurred, and my eyes un-cross in a few days,just in time to realize I just detached the retinas in both eyes! .

Sorry I couldn't resist!
................................................................................ 2020 jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LMAO!!! jumping Good One Mac!!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac

I have heard it said that it looks like an "Idiot grin" when you have fired too many shots out of big bores.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I can do about 45 to 50 rounds through the .470 off the bench. I can do about the same amount with the .458 Lott or the .500 NE. But MMmmmmyyyyyy shpeach getz a little slurred, and my eyes un-cross in a few days,just in time to realize I just detached the retinas in both eyes! .

Sorry I couldn't resist!
................................................................................ 2020 jumping

ahhahHHH, mi eren't ewe funni???

But you're also right. (unfortunately) Must have something to do with the sloped forehead and that dull gleam in my eyes! jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote