Find
Notify
Tools

Lost virginity
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally got to do it!
Going for Zimbabwe on the 18th, and I've been practicing plenty. My friend'll shoot a .375, I'll be shooting a .30-06. Well, my friend's been there before and he's kinda big bore addicted so he not only has a Merkel .470 double but also a .505 Gibbs, both of which I got to shoot last weekend.

Alas, I liked neither....
However, the .470 was less bad and the results speak for themselves:

Granted, two shots only, and the distance was but 25 meters (28yds), but first time offhand I daresay I'm da man! Cool
And despite the recoil the shootist is happy.

I think the only photo of me with a broader grin is the one where I had just shot my first moose.
Big Grin

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About this time you start to question "How much could I get on my 30-06 on a trade-in????? The big doubles are addicting.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You must be 20 ft tall (about 6 meters) and weigh 800 pounds (about 375 kilograms) because that don't look big enough to be a 470 NE.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
You must be 20 ft tall (about 6 meters) and weigh 800 pounds (about 375 kilograms) because that don't look big enough to be a 470 NE.

+1 clap

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think that be a wide angle lens....

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

My first impression as well! Confused

However that is pritty good shooting even if it is a 30-06, but amazing if it is a 470NE.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
183cm/69kg = 6ft/152lbs.

It's a Merkel double in .470, 24" barrels - slim build, I suppose? Dunno, haven't ever seen another one.
It was heavy, though, my friend appreciated it @ 4kg+, i.e. 8.8lbs or more. I'd say the weight is close to his .375 which weights in @ 5kg = 11 lbs.

The round black stickers on the target are 16mm (5/8") in diameter so that also verifies the caliber.
I didn't measure the target, but the outer rings I think are 12.5mm = 0.5" and the bull's eye 25mm = 1".

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I've shot neither the 470 nor the 505 gibbs but from what I understand theses are listed as dangerous game stoppers. Meaning a well placed 375 H&H would take down a Cape but if he's coming at you with all intents to punch your ticket then your only hope is a big bore I've also heard the 505 described as being just a little better to send then receive Big Grin None the less you had your cherry popped as it were

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on, Bill.....can't you see it's one of those 6# 470's you been wishing somebody would make?...why do you think it thumped him so bad?

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update:
I checked the Merkel website. The gun weights app. 4.6kg, i.e. approx. 10.5 lbs.

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot