New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym O/U in 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like O/U's and wonder if anyone has any experience with the Heym. It wouldn't be used on African dangerous game but rather of boar in Europe. At somewhere around $5500 they seem to be a good value however also thinking about a Chapuis O/U in 9.3x74R.

Whatever I buy it will be an O/U with a single trigger but would like some input.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I like O/U's and wonder if anyone has any experience with the Heym. It wouldn't be used on African dangerous game but rather of boar in Europe. At somewhere around $5500 they seem to be a good value however also thinking about a Chapuis O/U in 9.3x74R.

Whatever I buy it will be an O/U with a single trigger but would like some input.

Bill, we had a little O/U Heym down at the DRSS hunt last summer, brought there by Chris (NEW GUY) the importer of HEYM rifles. I shot it quite a bit, and it was very accurate, but is regulated with the light bullets, amd the springs would not allow the 286 gr bullet ammo in it without automaticlly slideing the safety to "ON" every time it was fired. He said it was regulated with that ammo because of it's very light weight. The recoil was pritty sharp with the 286 gr ammo, so he may be correct.

I would think if you ordered it to be regulated with the 286 gr ammo, they would make it with stronger springs. A good recoil pad would take care of the recoil.

I found the little rifle to be very well made (No suprize) but just light. It fit me well, and was easy to hit targets, even moveing ones like baloons tethered on strings bobing about in the wind. The fiber optic sights were very visible and were very nicely made. The finishe on the little standard grade was great.

Give Chris a call at Heym USA, and talk to him. He is a stand up guy, and will not feed you only what you want to hear. What he says, you can take to the bank,because it will be gold standard!

I say with a little changes so the heavier ammo can be used reliably, it is a very nice rifle, and worth every penny!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I agree with Mac. I waws at that same hunt and shot that O/U 9,3.

I have alsohandled that 9,3 several times. It is a very light short handy double.

I think Heym has solved the decocking issue with the heavy bullet loads.

The rifle is made with intergal cuts on the top barrel to take Heums QD scoe mount.

Since I already had a 9,3 double I bought the Heym O/U in 30-30, with a scope mount.

I like it a lot, it shoots good.

The worksmanship on these O/U's is very good.

They do have only one trigger, the bottom bbl fires first.

They must be cocked like a Kreighoff, or a Blaser, and after firing one or both barrels, the rifle de-cocks upon opening, and must be re-cocked after reloading and closing the gun.

As Mac stated, call Chris and talk to him.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My eyes are such that I'm going to need to put a scope on anything I purchase --- do you think a 30mm tube scope would overwhelm it?

Also, what did you think of the trigger?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym model 55 in 9,3X 74R O/U it has two triggers and took it to the DRSS hunts a couple of times It shoots really well. I had JJ in Enid OK do a scope mounting with a Leupold 1.5 X 5 power scope in traditional claw mounts and had it regulated with Nosler 250 Accubonds. I couldn't be happier with the Rifle.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

The trigger seems fine to me.

I put a 4x Leupold Compact on the 30-30 as I wanted to kee the double as light as possible, but I also have a 30mm scope mount for it in case I want to put a better low light scope with an illumionated reticle on it.

A small lightweight 30mm scope would be ok.

Swarovski 1.5-6x42 are not too heavy.

The Heym Model number of the small 9,3 we shot at DRSS is the 26 B.

Rojovin's model 55 is a very nice double, I have seen it. It is quite a bit more money.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran the recoil numbers for the Heym with the factory 286gr load and it was about 38 ftlbs which in a light O/U I would consider a bit more than "sharp". I can see why they used the 232gr bullet to regulate it but even then the factory Norma load still was about 32 or 33 ftlbs of recoil.....not as bad but still would get my attention.

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
DB Bill, don't worry too much about recoil. It isn't a bench rifle you'll shoot extensively and, besides, you won't even notice recoil when you'll see hair through the scope.

Cool

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre --- I just love that photo.

DB Bill aka Bill George