New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time and Ammo 450-400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am most likely taking my VC 450-400 to Zim when I am hunting in the Save (sometime in May) with the Admiral/SubSailor74.

I have barley shot the gun since I got in 2 years back - just wrong I know. I am going to practice in March and April.

How much ammo do I need to get proficient - assume I suck as a marksman?

Is the Hornady ammo good ?

Does the double rifle crowd use sticks or shoot offhand ?

Anyone have and use a sling on their double rifle?

I will taking a ruger 375R as a back up.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You picked the right DR cartridge to be able to shoot it a lot in a short time. Hornady ammo is good for practice but some don't like the bullet performance; I will let others with strong opinions chime in here. (I use only Hornady bullets, reloaded, but I will never go for DG).
The part that I don't get is that you say you"suck as a marksman". If that is really true, and I doubt it really is, then you need a lot of basic marksmanship instruction before you tackle a DR off cross sticks. I use slings for carrying only; never for shooting.
I will let you beat yourself up for waiting until the last minute to prepare; I won't mention it.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
To reply, from my limited experience:

I shoot my double rifle 4-6 times a day for a month or 6 weeks before I go on an international hunt. Personally I find this better than going to the range every week or two and shooting 50 rounds. However I understand this is not practical for everyone. I have a shooting range in my front yard.

Hornady is good. Reloading to your rifle is better.

Sticks or a tree or anything to steady the aim is better than off hand. But, practice with both sticks and off hand as you will use both in the field.

I always use a sling when walking but remove it when the time gets close for a stalk or a shot.

Cheers, good luck, and keep us posted.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Mike - practice at 25 yards and 50 yards off sticks and offhand. The key is to get comfortable with your rifle, in using both triggers, and reloading. You have plenty of time to practice between now and when we leave for Zim. I shoot my doubles mostly offhand as I have never had the need or time to get up on the sticks when hunting buffalo. Hornady ammo is fine for practice. If you do not reload, please save the brass, and I will will load it for you. Your rifle was most likely regulated with Hornady ammo. Hornady solids are ok for hunting as well, but I would personally not use their soft point ammo for hunting dangerous game. If you need soft point ammo loaded with Woodleigh bullets or solids loaded with Woodleighs or CEBs, let me know. I have a lot of ammo loaded, and it is easy enough for me to ship you a few boxes.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much ammo do I need to get proficient - assume I suck as a marksman?

Everybody is a little different in this regard. I believe some people are naturals. I am definitely not one of those people. Cal's practice regiment is great. It involves shooting 150 rounds, which for me is bare minimum. If your range allows, shoot one barrel run up 5 or 6 yards and shoot the second barrel. It is surprising how quick one can pull the front trigger twice. Practice reloading quickly at the range also. A couple of sets of snap caps and lots of dry firing and reloading helped.

quote:
Is the Hornady ammo good ?

I am not a fan but certainly appreciate the fact that Hornady loads for lots of big bores for reasonable prices. I prefer North Fork, CEB, or Swift. All that being said the Hornady bullet will be fine.

quote:
Does the double rifle crowd use sticks or shoot offhand ?

Anyone have and use a sling on their double rifle?

Those are personal preferences, whatever you are comfortable with. I shoot mostly offhand or leaning against a tree. I also use a sling to carry at times.

Hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I am no expert but am happy to share my own experience with this cartridge.

I shoot a Merkel in 450-400 and have been practicing with it for about three years now. I generally shoot 20 or 40 rounds each time I go to the range in the months leading up to a hunt with it. I try to go every week for about 3 months but sometimes I miss a week.

I like shooting at the photo targets of DG. It's a little more interesting than a bullseye. I also enjoy shooting at clay pigeons (sitting on the backstop).

I generally practice from the sticks at 50 yards. In my experience, my first shots are nearly always from the sticks and my follow up shots are probably 50/50 sticks/offhand. I always practice some at 25 yards offhand, too, but confess most of my practice is from the sticks.

I attended the SAAM Safari School in Texas and highly recommend it. Getting practice on moving targets and doing drills with your rifle is really valuable. Drills reloading and shooting again are particularly valuable, especially on the moving targets they have there.

I reload my ammo and have used the Hornady bullets (both DGX and DGS) with success. I don't really have a strong opinion about them - they're available and they work OK for me. Others have reported issues with the softs, but I'm not sure what those issues are. On my most recent trip I shot North Fork Cup Point Solids and was very impressed with them - I'll definitely use them for my solids going forward.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sticks! Reload if you can. Use RL-15 or Norma 203B. Use a tuft of polifill or foam plug.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote