THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy 470 for $6500 no reserve :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy 470 for $6500 no reserve :)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted
Searcy

Just saw this... smokin deal for an unfired gun

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know how much it weighs.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 10.5 lbs.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
is this 1 of the browning SxS's????

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is one of the early ones on the Browning action. This is also near the top of its price range from ones I have seen, but you never know with an auction. Those two toenail chips make me wonder if it truly has never been fired.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Is that a third chip opposite the two mentioned in the ad or just the lighting?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Yes, that is one of the early ones on the Browning action. This is also near the top of its price range from ones I have seen, but you never know with an auction. Those two toenail chips make me wonder if it truly has never been fired.

It is a BSS actioned double, and it has been fired, or dropped on it's buttstock, because recoil is the only cause for that type of chip. I also doubt it weighs only 10.5 lbs, but maybe, with only 22" barrels! This rifle is most likely one of the last Butch built on the BSS action, because it has two triggers, and his first ones were single triggers! These rifles were tough rifles, but I think only an amateur will pay that much for this rifle. It looks to have been refinished as well.

unfired I think not! Confused However that is some old ammo!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that it looks refinished, and poorly at that.

I would never pay anywhere near that much for a BSS Searcy.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's currently just over $7K! Weren't folks selling almost new doubles here for $7500?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun...700751_searcy470.jsp

This is a BSS Searcy at Cabelas. A bit of extra engraving, but $15K seems excessive.

I have a Searcy BSS 470 that I bought second hand from a dealer three years ago. I think I paid $6200. It shoots and handles well. The only gripe I have with it is that the trigger guard is a bit small for double triggers, as the BSS was built for SST.
I still think it represents pretty good value for a solid double, but I do have a vested interest.
Mine has 24" barrels, and by my scale it weighs 11 1/2 lbs.
I'll certainly watch this auction with interest!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy Moley...... it sold for $10,025!!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zowie!!!
I know I'd sell mine for that much.

Sometimes these things aren't so much a reflection of where prices are, but rather where they are going. If so, it's a good time to invest in a double.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Well, I talked to the guy who bid $10k on the gun, and he is relieved he didn't win... he had no idea this was one of the BSS guns. He should now be a member of this site, and I promised him, we'd educate him a little.. He's coming look at my new Searcy PH tomorrow Smiler

It just shows, auction sites can be dangerous when emotion and uninformed people get involved. I'm just glad you guys took the time to teach me some stuff before I bought any guns...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote