New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE case separation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was taking a half dozen practice shots after work today with my BSS Searcy 470. I'm leaving for a cow ele hunt Saturday.
On opening, the left barrel gave me the back half inch or so of the case, looked like it had been cut off with a band saw. After initial panic, I was able to get the stuck case out with a 20ga bronze brush.
Fortunately, my hunting ammo is all in new cases.
I've noticed that my cases all develop that little bright line on the first reload. I've kind of blown it off, as I didn't think I could have an impending separation on the first reload with such low pressure cartridges. I'm using 106gr IMR4831 under 500gr Woodleighs (104 for solids). Could there be something wrong with the chamber dimension? I've fired this rifle probably 500 times, and this is the first failure. I haven't kept good count, but I suppose some of my cases have been used four or five times.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a note I got back from Butch when I ask for loading data for my Searcy. He commented: "Do not try and reload your cartridges more than two or three times. You will have case head separations."

I'd take new or fired x1 cases to Africa.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I was taking a half dozen practice shots after work today with my BSS Searcy 470. I'm leaving for a cow ele hunt Saturday.
On opening, the left barrel gave me the back half inch or so of the case, looked like it had been cut off with a band saw. After initial panic, I was able to get the stuck case out with a 20ga bronze brush.
Fortunately, my hunting ammo is all in new cases.
I've noticed that my cases all develop that little bright line on the first reload. I've kind of blown it off, as I didn't think I could have an impending separation on the first reload with such low pressure cartridges. I'm using 106gr IMR4831 under 500gr Woodleighs (104 for solids). Could there be something wrong with the chamber dimension? I've fired this rifle probably 500 times, and this is the first failure. I haven't kept good count, but I suppose some of my cases have been used four or five times.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

let me guess! You are useing Norma brass! Confused

It is great that you are useing "NEW" brass for your hunting ammo. The little bright line around the cases about 3/8 inch forward of the rim,on the third or fourth re-loading is an indication of a pending seperation.

There is a difference between a RE-LOAD, and a HAND-LOAD! The re-load is for stump shooting, and as you seem to know, a HAND-LOAD is for saveing your life, or the lives of others in your hunting party!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 9,374R Norma brass will usually seperate on the third firing.

I have some Bertram cases for my 450 No2 that have been fired at least 20 times. I have never lost a case in the 450.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you anneal your cases when you first obtained them? You may wish to check case length also after firing and trim to length.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct, it is Norma brass.
I have not tried annealing.
I have used a trim die after sizing.

It seems that this is not an uncommon condition, based on what I am seeing here. I have always used new or once fired brass for hunting, now I know why! That could have been ugly in a field situation!

The bronze brush trick worked to remove the casing. Is there a preferred tool or technique for this, should it happen again? Any chance of damaging the rifle with a separation like this? With 470 brass priced the way it is, I hate to think of just chucking it after the third loading.
If Hornady ever ships, I sure would like to try their 470 brass. I've been really happy with their 416 Rigby brass.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not sure annealing will help with the case separation….If you are getting split case necks then in my experience it will help. I never had any problems in the 470 with anything other than separation and all that has been with Norma Brass. I doubt there is anything wrong with your rifle and would not have the slightest concern about problems on your hunt. As Mac stated you are wise to use new brass for your Hunting Ammo. Regarding your question of what to do with the used Norma Brass, I have had no trouble loading new brass Twice with full power loads. The third load is where I always had problems with the Norma brass. After the second load I mark the brass and use it for Cast bullet loads with reduced loads. I have never had any issues with the reduced loads even with the Norma Brass. I too look forward to seeing the Hornady brass. I hope it lasts longer than Norma. I have also had good luck with Federal Brass…never lost a case after multiple full power reloads. I think Jamison may also last a while but do not have much experience with it to this point. A good indication of brass longevity will be how much you have to trim after each firing. I am amazed sometimes at how much the Norma will stretch…..most of the Federal brass will not stretch at all.

Good luck on your hunt!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience. I pitch the Norma brass after the 3rd loading

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you full length resize or just neck size ?
(Does your gun allow you to neck size only ?).

I find FL resizing causes shorter case life becuase I chuck them at the first sign of case separation.

Annealing won;t help you in this as it is too close to the case head.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever had a similar problem with the Jamison brass?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two case head separations both with Bell brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one with Federal Premium nickel plated stuff. - .470 as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

I had new Jamison split on the neck after one shot with reduced loads in 470.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

Dave, I've had no problems with Jamison brass, I reload cases 8-12 times and handload cases 4-6 times. Bell and Norma brass have been problems for me in the past. I'm looking forward to Hornady's new brass for the 500 give it a try also.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Marty:

How do you set your resizing die? Maybe you are screwing it down to far. You might try this. Next time you load up some shells for your .470, screw the sizing die down until it touches the shell holder and then back it out a half turn. Size the shell, wipe off the lube, put the empty in your gun and gently close your gun and see if it will close. If not, pull the shell out, re-lube the case, screw the sizing die down a quarter of a turn and try again. Repeat the procedure until you get a case that works.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave-
I've just been screwing he die down to the shellholder. Some adjustment may be of benefit. Somehow I just keep following the instructions that come with the die, probably because I have the notion that I want the ammo to function in any rifle. I think I'll modify!.
I'm leaving for Zimbabwe in an hour. All new brass for the 470!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think any kind of die adjustment is gong to keep Norma brass from having head seperations. it is just not properly constructed to give you long case life. maybe they do that intentionaly. With what they charge for brass it must be hugely profitable for them. Planned obsolesence?
465H&h

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No experience with .470 brass, but lots of experience with Norma 9.3x74R brass reloading, all of it in a Valmet double. Light and heavy loads, I've never seen a head or body separation.

I bought a rather large lot of once-fired 9.3x74R that Huntington Die Specialties brought in many years ago. After 3 full charge firings, no incipient separations or separations.

I have one box of 20 9.3x74R brass that I annealed after the second firing, and have probably loaded 20 times with cast bullet loads, and only one had any sort of split, that one being down the neck.

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote