THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    1st Range Session with new VC .470NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Range Session with new VC .470NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
Pretty pleased with the first go around. I had a bunch of loads from another gun made up with Norma Powder and 500 gr Nosler solids, so I thought I would just try them out. First target is 25 yards. The 2nd target is at 50, obviously just the 2 top holes are mine. I just shot a target that was already up.

I need to bring it down a little, but the grouping is pretty good. Considering 2nd 25 yard group and 50 yard group, I think anything less is operator error. I also want to work out a load with CEB's and RL-15. Any recommendations are welcome.

25 yards

50 yards

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should do you well, Tim.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tim, I did a little experimenting with the CEB's and RL15 in my .470 VC. I was shooting 460 grain Non-Con Raptors with the tips. I loaded 94 grains of RL15 with a F215M primer and a Kynoch wad. Velocities were approximately 2165 fps (spread over ten shots was 2138 fps to 2190 fps). With the 500 grain CEB Safari Solids I was getting approximately 2155 fps with the same powder charge, primer, wad, etc. Accuracy with both was very good. I have to say, those long CEB Raptors with the tips in a .470 case look awfully lethal.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it! Enjoy!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks as usual Mike. Those tips do look bad! This gives me a great starting point.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
That should do you well, Tim.

Dutch

+1, minute of buffalo for sure

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Nice shootng Tim.

Excited to test my new VC in 450 NE when I feel shoulder is ready.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote