THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Need a powder & load for 9.3 Chapuis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a powder & load for 9.3 Chapuis
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a new start for me, loading the 9.3x74R for my Chapuis. Have some Hornady 286s on the way, got my dies from Will, once fired Norma brass and lotsa WW Standard Large Rifle primers. What's the best you Chap shooters have found? The only data I have in print for 286gr is Fred Barnes, 55grs IMR 4064 for 2300fps. This is OK. I have mostly common powders, IMR 4064 & 4895, H4831sc. I started to get into Norma published loads but NO ONE carries the powders at retail here and online you get nailed with the $50 hazmat fees for a couple lbs of powder. So I want to stick with powders on the shelf at the store.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
58 grs. RL-15, ~ 2450 fps.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19330 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try H-4831sc. Hodgden has the data on his site for the cartridge. FWIW...Use a Magnum primer. I'm using a Rem 9 1/2M, but I don't think it matters all that much which one you use. I was using standard primers, and then had a round that gave very low velocity in a string that wasn't as uniform as usual. I believe those primers were CCI, but they could have been WLR as well. In any case, I had Rem 9 1/2M primers on hand, tried them and the problem went away. My rifle is a Chapuis as well, but the bulles were Nosler Partitions. DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good, have H4831sc on hand, Fed 215s and the Hodgdon data. Thx

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried Hornadys; started firing for effect with 286 Nosler Partitions and saw no reason to switch:

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 9,3 Chapuis I use 65 grains of IMR 4831, Federal Mag primer with 286gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids, 286gr Nosler Partitions, and 285 Hawks with the .035jkt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use 65 gr of old H4831 and a 300 gr a frame

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
Hi:I am using Nosler 250 gr Accubonds pushed out at 2499 fps by 59.0 gr of R-15 powder. Shoot the same load in both my Merkel 9,3 and my Heym both 9,3X74R. Good luck.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have always used 51grs of IMR4064 and a 286gr bullet. Usually a Nosler or Woodleigh. Accuracy has been good in Chapuis and Valmet and the game hasn't complained. Regulated well in all three of the guns I owned.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote