New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti's on sale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Today at the Cabelas store just south of Denver were two Sabatti's on sale. One was in 45-70 and the other was a 9,3x74R. Both were priced at $2,399. Not a misprint or a rumor as I held both in my hands.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Same price (2,399) in the Billings MT. store.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Good news. They have figured out what they are really worth, on the high side. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, if they stuck one of the larger calibers, 450,470 or 500 for sale for that price, I might be tempted

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow

Were they ground or the new guns with serial numbers with an X ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not pay attention to the serial numbers but neither had ground muzzles. The sales person actually knew about the history of these rifles and pulled them out of the case to show me the muzzles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 9,3x74R would be a good one at that price, if it will regulate. I really enjoyed the Chapuis I had in that chambering.

A guy I met at the Boise range had rechambered one in 45-70 to 45-90, and had it printing L/R, L/R inside of three inches at 100 yds.

500gr Hornadys' at nearly 1900fps. He just said "lots" of 3031.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

A guy I met at the Boise range had rechambered one in 45-70 to 45-90, and had it printing L/R, L/R inside of three inches at 100 yds.

500gr Hornadys' at nearly 1900fps. He just said "lots" of 3031.

Rich

That's a great idea. Next time I am at Cabelas I'll have to take a closer look at the 45-70 and see how it fits a lefty.
Even if I have to have the stock reshaped, rechambered, and maybe even reregulated still think I could be at $4k or under.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
I have two Sabatti's, a 45/70 and 450/400 and am very happy with both of them. I shouldered both of them left handed and they seemed to fit fine.
I don't think you would need to re-regulate after converting it to a 45/90 if you used heavier bullets. My 45/70 shot 500 gr bullets 5" apart at 50 yds, I don't remember exactly what the velocity was but I'm sure it was in the 1200-1300 fps range. With a larger case it would be easy get the velocity high enough to bring the groups together.
Although, if you're willing to spend $4K why not get a .450 nitro instead.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southeast Idaho | Registered: 25 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just pulled the trigger on a .470 NE Sabatti. It is a brand new ejector model and originally the price tag was $5900 but it was marked down to $4500. Originally they thought the only .470 NE they had was the floor model which had some dings on it but looking around they found a new one in the back.

Muzzles are round, no indication of dremeling and the regulation target is one ragged hole at 50 meters a couple inches high.

Funny thing is I walked into the store to return some fishing equipment. A double wasn't even on my mind at all.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't returning fishing equipment when I bought the 45/70 but I sure wasn't looking for a new rifle either. I hope your new .470 works well for you, do you have a hunting trip planned for it?

Posts: 32 | Location: Southeast Idaho | Registered: 25 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped by the Cabela's near Dallas today. They had five Sabatti's reduced a thousand bucks or so. The sign next to the rack said closeout sale. I asked the guy in the library they meant by closeout. He said that the Sabatti's were tying up money that they could use to offer several lesser priced rifles so they were getting rid of them. He didn't come right out and say it but it sounded like Cabela's is discontinuing them.

I know a few dealers back home who have tried to get them without having to go through Cabela's but haven't been able to since Cabela's was the sole importer.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said that the Sabatti's were tying up money that they could use to offer several lesser priced rifles so they were getting rid of them.

Interesting.

A combination of not turning them over fast enough and the hassle of returns / credits / refunds.

If Cabelas hadn't been so forceful on getting the guns so quickly, they would probably still be flying out the door or at least turning them over faster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idahoshooter:
I wasn't returning fishing equipment when I bought the 45/70 but I sure wasn't looking for a new rifle either. I hope your new .470 works well for you, do you have a hunting trip planned for it?

Frankly I'm not sure yet where I am going in Africa next. I just got back from a trip to South Africa/Zimbabwe three weeks ago. That was my third trip in 4 years so I'm not sure if I am going back next year or 2015.

The manager of the gun library in told me that they like to get 6 turns on their rifle inventory a year and that the Sabattis aren't turning like they had hoped. He said that they are marking them down to get rid of them and they are selling them at $200 below cost. What the truth is I don't know but that is what I was told.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idahoshooter:

Although, if you're willing to spend $4K why not get a .450 nitro instead.

That's a good point as I already have a 450 NE. I think you just saved me some money and potential aggravation Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, Will did something had a set of chambers lengthened on a Sabatti. I don't remember whether he needed to get it reregulated or any other details. Might be interesting to know for anyone who might be looking at such a project.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rxg

Sounds like Cabelas are getting out of them.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
If I remember correctly, Will did something had a set of chambers lengthened on a Sabatti. I don't remember whether he needed to get it reregulated or any other details. Might be interesting to know for anyone who might be looking at such a project.
Bfly

I talked with him about his conversion, he took the Sabatti 45-70 and had it reamed out to 450NE. He wanted a very light "walking around" rifle. He said that it regulated "good enough for elephants" when it came back from being rechambered. It was for sale a while back, I don't remeber what he was asking but it was pretty affordable.
P.S. The Cabelas gun library mgrs in both Billings and Post Falls Id. told me they are out of the Sabatti business when these are gone.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote