THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Favorite powder for 9.3x74 R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite powder for 9.3x74 R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can any one offer their opinions or experiences concerning best powder for 9.3x74R reloading.

I have Merkel 140E but have not really worked up any loads yet - just shot some Norma factory loads for practice and deer hunting here in MI.

Thanks
JMV375

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I do not have my 9.3x74R any longer,but one of the loads that I remember is 286 gr bullets with 65 grs of IMR4831,where abouts in MI are you located?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Good results with H4350 and the 285gr PRVI bullet in my Ruger No.1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Located in Macomb. Have used WW 748 ball powder with very good results in my Ruger # 1 but not done any load work for the Merkel double yet.

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That 4831 is my gold standard load.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
w760; lowest pressure and highest velocity. I have also used 4350 with good results. 4831 is too slow to regulate in my Krieghoff.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is very accurate with IMR4350. Shots out to 200 yards are no problem with my load in my rifle.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like and use Varget.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser (9.3 x 62)
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter (9.3 x 74R)

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMV375:
I have Merkel 140E but have not really worked up any loads yet - just shot some Norma factory loads for practice and deer hunting here in MI.

If you want to duplicate Norma factory loads, a safe bet would be to try Norma powder. Do you have access to Norma powder in the US?

I have been doing quite some reloading to 9.3x74R, regulated for Norma factory loads. Norma 202 and Norma 203-B should work fine for most bullets.

Typically I use 54-55 grain Norma 202 for 285 grain bullets, or 57-58 grain Norma 203-B. Reloading data from Norma here:

http://www.norma.cc/us/Ammunit...Loading-Data/93x74R/

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for IMR4350. Very accurate with my primary load of 286 grain Woodleigh PP SPs. I get similar accuracy and shooting to the same point with North Fork flat nose and cup point solids - powder load for those is about 1.5 grains less than for the Woodleighs...

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
like jmv375 i am interested in reloading the 9.3x74r. i have a chapuis double rifle purchased in 2007.i noticed over time many of you have settled on the 286 grain bullet with 65.0 grains of imr 4831 powder. i just happened to have 2 lb of that powder.my question is with 286 grain hornadys norma and hornady brass how much powder to start with is a good idea. i am thinking mabey 62 or 63 grains.also i notice ne450no2 used federal 215 primers which i also have along with winchester large rifle primers.i did work up one load using those bullets but with h4831 at 69 grains and the winchester primer with only fair results.any help thank you. john

john ashe

Posts: 10 | Location: NC | Registered: 14 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
To me, 4831 is a slow powder in the 9.3, that kicks more than it should, and does not regulate in any of my 9.3x74rs. I like a slightly faster powder, like 4350, or better, W760.
Norma Powder? I would love to have some N202 for my 8x57JRS, but here at least, it is not available and I have not tried for a year.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always used IMR 4831.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
61g of RL 15 under Nosler 250g Accubond bullet ignited with WWLRM primers it clocked @2475 f/s and did the trick for my Scoped Chapuis. it regulated so very well out to 280 yards my first try with a R and L at that distant were touching I could not believe my eyes when I looed through the spotting scope. The friend that was with me at the range could not believe it either that a double is capable of such an accuracy.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I shoot primarily 250 gr Barnes X triple shock and Barnes solid bullets in my Searcy stalking rifle with IMR 4064.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As info, this is my load;
Hornady brass
286 grain Nosler Partition
68.0 grains of IMR4350
WLR primer.
Velocity is 2235 fps which is all that I need out of this rifle to kill anything that I will hunt with it. Very accurate load, easy on the rifle, and a pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ron:

What is the rifle that you shoot that load through; is it some thing that you have built?

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malek,
Yes, I built this double on a BRNO ZP-47 16 gauge action. It turned out very nice. I was fortunate enough to take a beautiful Scimitar-Horned Oryx with it in Texas about 2 months ago. The range was 154 yards which was no problem at all with this rifle and this load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ron;

Very nice, any pix? I tried 63g of IMR4350 with the 286 prvi and it did not shoot well, I will try a bigger dosage next time and see how it will shoot.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask and ye shall receive!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hello Ron;

Thanks for sharing, the Oryx and the rifle are both beautiful, do you have any close ups for the rifle? It is certainly a nice looking one.

I never saw an Oryx this color is it an albino or is it the color of the bread?

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
IMR 4064 with CEB Safari Raptors and BBW#13 Solids in mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malek,
It's called Scimitar-Horned Oryx...native to sub-Saharan Africa...virtually extinct there...that is their natural colour.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 15, Federal Magnum primer and 286 grain North Fork solid, cup and Nosler Partitions. All shoot to virtually the same point with very good accuracy.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Malek, It's called Scimitar-Horned Oryx...native to sub-Saharan Africa...virtually extinct there...that is their natural colour.

Thanks Ron, makes a very beautiful unusual mount.

66.7g of H4831sc Gave me very good results under the 286g Prvi. velocity in the neighborhood of 2300f/s

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In my two doubles chambered for the 9.3X74R 4064 with .286gr Nosler partitions, and North Fork cps, seems to work best!

..................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I have been using IMR 4064 powder most often. Varget and Reloader No.15 also work well.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15, Federal mag primer, with all 286 grain bullets shoots with excellent accuracy. Almost too good for a double.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe. Here are a couple that work for me. Both with 286 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Heym 37B 53.5 gr. VN 140
Heym 88B 57.4 gr. RL 15

Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote