New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on regulation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a kreigoff 9.3x74 with scope at 100 yds the right barrell shoots perfect and left is about 6 or 7 inches left. it has a place between the barrells for regulation. who would be the best to send the gun and get the left moved to closely match the right?

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First I would ask if you are shooting the factory ammo that the rifle was regulated for?
Have you chronographed those round through your rifle? You need to have that benchmark of how the rifle shoots with ammo it was regulated for to give you a point of reference, when you reload.

For example, the left barrel of my Chapuis 9.3X74R doesn't like the new Hornady 9.3 bullets. Right is great, let prints the rounds together just low left. Noslers it does a great job.

What I'm saying is just make sure it's the rifle not your reloads, that is the problem.
If the rifle is new, Kreighoff has an accuracy standard, they should make it better. If the person you bought it from said it would shoot with a certain accuracy they should be responsible.

When all else fails. . . .

For regulation, I trust JJ Parodeau at Champlin Firearms, Enid OK.
Heck of a gunmaker! No BS just straight forward answers, and solutions! He's about a nice a fella as you'd ever want to meet.
An afternoon in JJ's shop is a thrilling experience!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gerryb,

yes, the barrels need to be regulated; you want three inches or less for a composite group at 100 yards.

Send the rifle AND the ammo you want to hunt with off to JJPerodeau who gets high praise here on the Board (I've not dealt with him myself). If you use readily available factory ammo, make sure that JJP has or can get a stock of it to regulate your rifle.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks i have dealt with JJ and champlin many times and will contact them, I wasn't sure if someone really specialized in K guns. I was under the impression this gun was regulated with Norma 286 grain factory ammo. I bought it used, i own one I bought in 500/416 and it is really good. at 100 the right will shoot 1 inch groups with that ammo its just the left that is way off. I hope JJ can move the left without hurting that accuracy on the right.thanks again for your help

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry:

Need a little clarification to help. All doubles have a place between the barrels for re-regulation (a regulating wedge). Is this an adjustable wedge gun? Your description makes it sound like it is. As of a few years ago (I haven't kept up) the K-guns in 9.3X74R and smaller were adjustable wedge, while larger calibers were fixed wedge. I don't know how long that had been true. The adjustable wedge will have a screw between the muzzles that takes a small Allen wrench.

If yours has a fixed wedge, re-regulation will require J. J. He has re-regulated one for me and his work is superb. However, do as Rusty said, and make sure that it really needs re-regulation before taking that step. Try a variety of ammo, including different weight bullets. Most 9.3s are regulated for 286 grain, but not all. If factory ammo doesn't work, work up some handloads.

If your gun has the adjustable wedge, re-regulation for a specific load is intended to be do-it-yourself. If you don't have instructions, get in touch with Krieghoff USA in Pennsylvania (I assume you're in the US). They can provide an instruction manual, or walk you through it. I've used this system on a couple of these, and it isn't something that should require a 'smith, though it can be aggravating.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes it has the adjustable wedge, thanks i hope I can call them and it will not be to difficult.this is new to me my Manton 470 and watson bros 450/400 did not need much so this is the first time I have had to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerryb:
thanks i have dealt with JJ and champlin many times and will contact them, I wasn't sure if someone really specialized in K guns. I was under the impression this gun was regulated with Norma 286 grain factory ammo. I bought it used, i own one I bought in 500/416 and it is really good. at 100 the right will shoot 1 inch groups with that ammo its just the left that is way off. I hope JJ can move the left without hurting that accuracy on the right.thanks again for your help

The first thing I would do is follow the advise Rusty gave you. Find out what ammo it was regulated with. Contact kreigoff and find out what load was used. Get some of that ammo and try it. I suppose if money is not a issue just send it to JJ and say fix it.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerryb:
I have a kreigoff 9.3x74 with scope at 100 yds the right barrell shoots perfect and left is about 6 or 7 inches left. it has a place between the barrells for regulation. who would be the best to send the gun and get the left moved to closely match the right?

All good advice, but I think there is one thing everyone is forgetting! This is an "adjustable regulation" rifle, and was meant to be regulated with what ever shoots both barrels to acceptable individual 3 shot groups, at tha same elevation. If I'm not mistaken, the sights are cut for the right barrel only. That is son once a load is found to shoot well in both barrels, and at the same elevation @ a given distance, the "jack screw" or "screws" (Merkels have two) is used to bring the left barrel into the same conmposite group with the right barrel. The Key to this is to simply shoo the groups from each barrel on the same target, let the rifle cool. Turn the JACK SCREW "CLOCK WISE" about two turns, shoot another two, three shot groups from each barrel and see if the groups move closer, or farther appart ! Now you have the knowledge you need to do your own regulation. If the groups moved close together, simply fire the 6 shot group (3 from each barrel), them move the jack screw more till the groups form a composite group of both barrels that is acceptable to you.

The whole idea of adjustable regulation is to avoid haveing to work up loads to regulation.

So #1 find a load that shoot good proups from each barrel, then adjuct the barrels to that load!

All the above is assuming the rifle is being fired properly from the rest used to do the regulation. The rule here for double rifle is to "NEVER" let the rifle touch "ANYTHING" other than the shooter's hands, face, and shoulder, while fireing! You may rest on sand bags, but your hand must be holding the rifl as if you are shooting free hand. The proper hold for a S/S double rifle is: Forehand holds the rifle at the muzzle end of the fore-end wood, with fingers around the barrels themselves, with that hand resting on the sand bags, not the rifle. You may rest your trigger hand with sand bags under the wrist of the trigger hand, but not touching the rifle. All this is best done on a standing bench, or sitting at a regular bench, but sitting with your body upright as it would be while standing.

The reason for all this is the S/S double rifle is designed to be fired right barrel first (on a rt hand rifle)from a cool barrel set, followed by a LFT barrel shot, than another RT, then anothe LFT. The barrels must absolutely be allowed to recoil through it's natural recoil arch to regulate properly. SO, untill you find a load that shoots good groups from both barrels, at the same elevations, rested as above, there is no need for any regulation at all.

I is amazing to me, why the factories that make double rifles with adjustable regulation don't send a very well written set of instruction along with the rifle, covering everything from resting the rifle to adjustment of the regulation. It seem most gunsmiths are useless in this respect, even the one that work for the importers, in many cases, becaus nobody has explained it to them either! DAMN! People are not born knowing this stuff! Confused

I hope this is aleast, as clear as Sabine River muddy water! Good luck beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote