Find
Notify
Tools

Scope on a 500 NE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
I have a scoped .458Lott but am considering a DR in 500NE. The question I ask here, of those who have experience with the caliber, is whether a 1.5-5x will hold under repeated recoil on the 500NE. This is an issue of eyesight requirements.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Short answer. Given your eyesight "requirements", yes, a good quality scope will have no problems.

If you must, please strongly consider a rail scope.

Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should do and is probably the one with the best reputation.

They have held up on 500 Jeffrey's / 505 Gibbs before.

It is what I would put on one of my 500's if I ever needed one.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Another good choice would be a Leupold Ultalight 2.5. Doubles are somewhat heavy to start so I think the lightest scope you can find would be a good choice. Many guys go with the Leupold 2.5 and they seem to be practically indestructible. It's a .500 so it is not a long range affair. You don't need all that much magnification.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put one of the new 30mm 1x4 Trijicons on a 500 Jeff bolt gun....not a double, but on 1 power you shoot with both eyes WIDE open dead nuts on target...awesome setup. I have the Loopie you mention on 2 other rifles, one a 375 FL double...and they work great.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a firearm as powerful as a .500, the mount and rings may be even more important than scope selection.

Go claw. They cost like smoke and not all smiths can install them, but with claws and good rings that scope is going NOWHERE, EVER.

Did I mention they are REALLY REALLY expensive?

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Another good choice would be a Leupold Ultalight 2.5. Doubles are somewhat heavy to start so I think the lightest scope you can find would be a good choice. Many guys go with the Leupold 2.5 and they seem to be practically indestructible. It's a .500 so it is not a long range affair. You don't need all that much magnification.

Very good choice for a hard kicking rifle like a 500NE. One other choice is, you might look into the better "SCOUT" scopes. with the ocular lens juts forward of the chamber end of the barrels it wouldn't interfere with a quick re-load, and would avoid a nice Weatherby EYE.

In most cases a scope is a speciality item on a double rifle, and is only installed when needed for a special purpose, and is most often carrued with Iron sights with the scope carried by a tracker, or in a belt pouch by the single hunter. In this case however, the scope will be the primary sight for LIONHUNTER because of a eyesight problem, so the scope can take a more usefull job than normal. A light scope like the trigicon 1.25-4X24 with a German No4 reticle would gather a little mor light than the 2x lupe, and is illuminated both day and night by fiberoptics in day light, and tritium in the dark. Pricey, and along with mounting really pricey, but is the best of all worlds on a double rifle, especially with the 4" eyerelief.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I just saw an ad in the new American Hunter that Leupold is making a 1.1 - 8 scope. I have had great success with my Leupold 1.5 - 5 x 20 scope on my .470NE and I will for sure think about this 1.1 - 8 for my .500 Jeffery.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway has the Aimpoint on sale at about $110 off ($269 now, I think), which makes a great sight for a close-in caliber like the 500 NE on a DR.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Have used 1-4 Intermediate Eye Relief Burris( no longer made)--Held up very well on heavy recoil on a couple of rifles.

It was mounted with the eye piece flush with the breech end of the barrels.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all respondents.

I just realized I have a possible solution in that I have an EOTech which I've used on a S&W 500 revolver with no recoil issues. Seems to me this might work well on a DR and I am a big fan of the circle/dot reticle. Anyone tried one of these on a DR?

My heavy rifles have the Leupold 1.5-5x 30mm tube Illuminated circle/dot reticle and never a problem with them either.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, perhaps one should not use aimpoint.
What happens if the bat. dies or malfunction?

I shot a deer once with my blaser 95 12/7x57R.
The deer dropped. There was another one. When i aimed the aimpoint was dead....I didn't shot.

For dangerous game, I would not use aimpoint.
But for all other types they are great.

Swarovski would sure do the job.

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter.

A Red Dot sight is a good choice on a double, especially on a big bore like a 500.

Take look at the Doctor Optic.

I have used several of them and they work great.
They are the best chice for a hunting rifle IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
A great One Power with a field of view larger than almost any red dot is the Leupold Prismatic...
http://www.leupold.com/hunting...nting-illum-reticle/
This works with or without a battery.
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe get contacts or Lasik Surgery instead...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint batteries dying? I've had my T-1 turned on for 2.5 years straight, and my M2 for the same before that. Replace them every February 29th and you'll be fine. As to breaking them, failure is almost unknown under conditions much more strenuous than hunting.

I should think you would be more likely to shear your front sight off of your rifle than break an Aimpoint Micro.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Swarovski PVI-2 1.25-4x24SR scope on my personal rifle and have sold several of these to clients. Long eye relief, illuminated reticle which is easy to put on or take off, Swarovski rail, which is sort of looks like gears on the bottom of the rail eliminates the need to bolt thru the base into the rail to prevent the scope from moving. Pricy for sure but my opinion is best set up. Swarovski has a new model, but to me looks sort of space age and no too attractive.

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote