Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Lancaster
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
All should be original except the scope and pad.
It shoots 2" groups at 100meters.

It is out for sale here in Europe. What is a good price for this rifle ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2-3 years ago at the Las Vegas shows these would be in the $11-12K range if tight on face and good bore. Saw several at that price, sans scope. Now, I see them advertised for $17-23K. quite a large jump. However, they are still for sale at that price. You may wish to check that lop. Looks awful short.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I agree about the LOP, only thing is i have a very short LOP my self. The price is very nice IMO Less than "the Las Vegas price 2-3 years ago".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea what action it is built on ?

Is it a Lancaster built gun or a trade gun finished by Lancaster ?
(ie If it was a Wbeley, IMHO it is worth more).

Is that a Quarter Rib ?

Any idea of date of manufacture ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
No im sorry, i dont think he knows - he is selling it for his grandfather that have had the rifle for +25 years.

I found a Lancaster with number 13034 and that one is a 1909 i dont know if that helps ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, as the previous poster said, if it's less than price quoted in Las Vegas 2 - 3 years ago and on face and bores good (and of course you like
the gun and it fits you), then I would say go for it.

In regards to "and of course you like the gun and it fits you",
IMHO, no use buying a gun if you don't like it or it doesn't fit you.

I like Lancaster guns, always well made IMHO.

Anyway, good luck.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Thanks 500N im new to doublerifles but i have always wanted one Smiler I will try to find a gunsmith to tag along and check it out with me.

With all free advertisng here from me it maybe is sold already Wink

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
It looks like an nice rifle indeed!
But that awful pad has to be changed to a Silver's shame
The stock looks like it is a replacement stock -right?
Very nice scroll engraving clap

The action looks very much like an Webley & Scott action. My W&S .450/.400 3 1/4" was made 1922-23 and as you can see on the photos it is familiar with the Lancaster.

BigFiveJack learned me that there are two types of W&S action:
There are two different Webley actions, PHV-1
and the A&WC "Screw - Grip". They are both
well respected. Looking at the top of the rifle
you can see the shape of the DOLLS HEAD. If
it looks like a 3 leaf clover it's a PHV-1. The
"Clipped Spade" shaped DOLLS HEAD is the
A&WC.

My double has a PHV-1 action and I paid $ 7000 for it, one year ago.

I recommend you to contact P O Stenmark or "Bössmakaren i Klippan" -Hans Englund for advices. P O is probably out hunting Moose right now Wink

I would be happy to supply you with an made to measure Oak & Leather case for that Lancaster if you buy it!

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The serial number is from 1911. Although Lancaster did retail some Webley PHV-1 Models, this isn't one of them. Looks to be shoe-lump barrels (although chopper-lump were sometimes filed up that way, but not by Webley) and Anson fore-end release. Webley used chopper-lump barrels and Wilkinson's screw-grip fore-end fastener.

quote:
2-3 years ago at the Las Vegas shows these would be in the $11-12K range if tight on face and good bore.

They were bringing that 10 years ago.

quote:
Now, I see them advertised for $17-23K. quite a large jump. However, they are still for sale at that price.

They've been actively trading in that range here for quite a while now, and I've seen many move.

British boxlock DRs don't bring as much in the UK or Europe as they do here. Still, they bring more than what Dahlgren is talking about. A nice Webley PHV-1 .450/.400 3 1/4" (retailed by William Evans) just brought 10,000GBP ($17,000 US) on auction in London. A plain Jeffery .400 in well hunted condition, but with excellent bores brought 7200GBP ($12,240 US). I just handled both when they arrived, and both will bring substantially more here. I agree with Nigel that the Webley built models are worth more, but it looks like a decent rifle and it has a good name on it. From the sounds of the price, if the bores are strong and the wood sound, go for it.
-------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote