New
Find
Notify
Tools

400/360 Snap Caps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a Wm. Evans boxlock in 400/360. I have been looking around and can't seem to find a set of snap caps. Since I'm planning on using 9.3 x 74 brass, could I also use the 9.3 x 74 snaps at Galazan's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Posts: 52 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With possibly a bit of modification, yes.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 snap caps may work if they are short.
Many snap caps do not replicate the actual case but are simply short cylinders without a necked portion.
In loaded form, the 9.3 case is longer than the 400/360's so a full length snap cap would probably not work.
Which 400/360 did you get?

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shorter version is what I saw at Galazan's. In the meantime, I've sent an e-mail to Kynoch. They have the 400/360 Purdey listed on their site. I bought the rifle at a Little John's auction a few weeks ago.

Posts: 52 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shorter Galazan versions are the way to go,
not the plastic one's made by ? A Zoom ?

By modification, I was not talking about length,
I was talking about the rims. Sometimes, just sometimes you get a 400/360 that has thin rims cut in the chamber - this is only due to the huge variations from different makers.

BTW - Make sure you slug your bore and measure it before firing, as said above, a huge amount of variation in the bores of those guns - and that is apart from the 3 or 4 different cartridges.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote