New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR4831-vs-H4831
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As most of you know, I purchased a Searcy 470NE last winter...had regulation issues...sent it to Butch...got it back...now it shoots his regulation load of 106gr IMR4831 perfect.
Rumor has it that H4831, is less effected by temperature change. I have also heard that it might be more consistant from lot to lot. I use H4831 in many big bore bolt guns with success.
I see lots of people here using IMR4831 and RL-15 in their .470, but don't see much on H4831.
I am trying to decide wheather it is worth playing with some H4831 for a while, or just go buy a big jug of IMR4831(since thats what Butch uses, and it works for me)...tune that lot...and leave it at that.
Opinions?????
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use H-4831 in my Searcy 470. I load 110 grains behind the Woodleigh solids and softs. Velocity is about 2,140 fps. H-4831 is one of Hodgdons Extreme powders and it's temperature insensitivity is no rumour. It is fact. Also with the extra 4 grains of powder, loading density is increased. That means H-4831 fills the case better than RL-15 so you don't need any filler. My Searcy with the 106 grain IMR-4831 load puts the bullets about 2" apart at 50 yards. With the 110 grain load they land in the same hole. Since I only use it out to 125 yards, I prefer the bullets hitting on top of each other. What you get when using either of the 4831s is a little more recoil than the RL-15 load.

465H&H

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H,
Your findings are accurate with mine on H4831 in general. The recoil has never effected me...in fact, I question if that is why I had to have the gun re-regulated to begin with...I don't move much, and the bullets were crossing bad...even at 99 grains.Who knows???
I think the bullets should print side by side, when regulated, so they stay like that at any range.
Thanks for your experience.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
465H&H,
Your findings are accurate with mine on H4831 in general. The recoil has never effected me...in fact, I question if that is why I had to have the gun re-regulated to begin with...I don't move much, and the bullets were crossing bad...even at 99 grains.Who knows???
I think the bullets should print side by side, when regulated, so they stay like that at any range.
Thanks for your experience.
ND Smiler

N-Dave, the H-4831 is slightly slower than the IMR powder, and is, IMO, a better powder than either the IMR-4831, or RE-15 for the 470NE cartridge. The case capacity is better utilized by the H powder, and again IMO developes less chamber pressure for velocity developed, and requires no filler.

Good luck and enjoy your new Searcy!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave:

I guess if it were me, I would just stick with the load that it was regulated for if it is shooting well. H4831 is great powder but so is IMR4831 and I think Hodgdon now owns IMR. Perhaps H4831 might be a little more consistent over a range of temperatures but your .470 is such a low pressure round to start with, I doubt that the change of powder would make any difference. Most guys use IMR4831 as opposed to H4831 because there is a very straighforward conversion formula for IMR4831 (cordite load X 1.333 = IMR4831 load) which, for some reason, does not seem to work for the .470. Everyone seems to show a load of 106 grains of IMR4831 when is should be around 100 grains (75 x 1.333 = 99.9) although one poster on a different thread did get excessive velocity with the 106 grain load. I would stick with the load Mr. Searcy used to regulate the rifle although I would be sure to chronograph that load to make sure it was running 2100-2150 fps and not a bunch faster.

I have a related question. I loaded up a few .470 rounds last night with 88 grains of Reloder 15 and six grains of dacron polyester filler. (Ross Seyfried suggests six to seven grains for the .470 and .500.) However, I thought that was a bit too much filler with a 500 grain Woodliegh soft so I dropped down to five gtains of filler. When I seat the bullet, that will tamp down the filler against the powder pretty tight. Do I need to use less filler? I have never shot a load will a filler before and there is at least part of me that is just afraid to pull the trigger the first time.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have seen the same from H4831 in many big bores...lower pressure and better case density. It groups fantastic in most guns I use it in.
I don't use any filler with the IMR4831 either. I haven't found it, to need filler in the .470 case. Mine shoots consistant.

Dave,
I am leaning toward just using the IMR. I have a chain of C-stores and one of my truck stops is in Enid, so I frequent Champlin Arms. George and JJ are always preaching about duplicating the pressure and velocity that a particular gun was built for. Butch Searcy regulated this gun for 106gr IMR 4831. I will load the rest of this lot, that regulates good, and chronoghaph them. Then I will know for sure, what velocity it likes. I may play with the Hogden a bit, but will probably get a big jug of IMR and run with it.
Thanks to all, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Dave, I would be very curious to find out what the velocity of the 106 grain of IMR4831 is in your rifle so, when you have a chance to chronograph it, please PM me with the results.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote