THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Got the doubles out yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the doubles out yesterday
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friends came up from Alabama for the weekend.

We shot some backyard trap with my two Francotte 12 bores. He had never shot a side by side shotgun before. I had one big case that had not been opened after 200rounds of 12 gauge were spent.

“Open that case there.”

“That is heavy. Did you bring the 10 gauge?” He had handled my 10 gauge Browning the night before and asked to shoot it.

“Quit asking questions and just open the case!”

Inside in a Hyem soft case was my .500 Nitro Heym.

We set up a target with center orange dot 30 yards out.

Between us we sent 20 rounds in a hand size group. One of my rounds cut a six inch tree down behind the target as clean as a saw. His son is 3 and was talking about the gun that cuts trees down as he feel asleep.

My photographer, my wife, was not present. Therefore, I apologize for no pictures. Another 30 year old is now planning a safari.

I love that rifle.

Posts: 12208 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Between us we sent 20 rounds in a hand size group. One of my rounds cut a six inch tree down beside the target as clean as a saw. His son is 3 and was talking about the gun that cuts trees down as he feel asleep.

That little boy will be fascinated with double rifles for the rest of his life!

At the age of six years, I was introduced to a H&H 500-450 NE by a man who hunted Africa for all sorts of animals, with his 500-450NE double. He was a man that my grandfather traded with in Santa Anna, Texas, back in the early 1940s and he let me hold that rifle ,first warning me not to drop it because it was heavy. Being six yrs old and about 60 lbs soaking wet, it was heavier than my .22 single shot Winchester. I was hooked on double rifle ever since, and I was 21 yrs old before I bought my first double rifle but I never forgot the man who started me on the double rifle path. I'm 82 today and still doubles are my favorite hunting rifle.

…………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, only 82? I think you're counting backwards :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mac, only 82? I think you're counting backwards :-)

I wish! but the 83rd year started April 5th 2019! 1937/2019! Seems I'm in a holding pattern, trying to find the runway, and the hanger in the clouds~

………………………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw,c'mon...you're just getting warmed up! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac: Keep swinging.

Posts: 12208 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]That little boy will be fascinated with double rifles for the rest of his life! At the age of six years, I was introduced to a H&H 500-450 NE by a man who hunted Africa for all sorts of animals, with his 500-450NE double. He was a man that my grandfather traded with in Santa Anna, Texas, back in the early 1940s and he let me hold that rifle ,first warning me not to drop it because it was heavy. Being six yrs old and about 60 lbs soaking wet, it was heavier than my .22 single shot Winchester. I was hooked on double rifle ever since, and I was 21 yrs old before I bought my first double rifle but I never forgot the man who started me on the double rifle path. I'm 82 today and still doubles are my favorite hunting rifle.[/quo

Mac, that is an great, an wonderfull story.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Double rifle are a frustrating addiction. Just bought my third one. But it is for the wifey Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Double rifle are a frustrating addiction. Just bought my third one. But it is for the wifey Big Grin

Yeah, yeah, yeah rotflmo

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote