New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I figure this is the best spot to ask this question. What do you guys do for insurance on these expensive rifles? I just got off the phone with my homeowners carrier (State Farm) and they would not write a policy for a rifle. I have some limited coverage if the rifle is at home, but nothing when I am hunting with it especially out of the country. I have got an expensive rifle (for me) showing up in the next sixty days and I am headed to Africa in Aug. and I want it covered.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I would have reccomended Sportsman's Insurance, but it appears that their website is no longer working.

http://www.siai.net/

Maybe someone here has their phone #.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
join sci - there are insurers for members rifles

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you belong to the NRA youy membership gives you $1,000 in free coverage. If you want to add to that the NRA has an underwriter who will insure your firearms for up to $50,000 but here you must list each firearm (and attached accessories) individually by serial number along with an accurate descripition as well as the replacement costs. The premium usually runs about 1.25%/year of insurance you are buying. Example --- $10,000 coverage would be $125 per year -- this wold be in addition to your free mambership coveerage.

Siai, as stated, is will also cover your firearms for about the same rate --- the difference is Siai requires you have coverage that would repalce your gun at the listed new price which tends to be more than replacement.

Ive had the NRA extended coverage in the past and actually had to file two claims --- the 1st was paid promplty (in excess of $25K) and the 2nd (about 10 years later) took a little longer -- Lloyd's was the underwritter at the time --- but wcwn then they paid fairly quickly.

I've had Siai for several years but haven't needed to file a claim.....I swtiched becasue they are slightly less expensive than the NRA carrier and I have enought expensive competition shotguns it was worth the money.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I have been thinking about joining SCI for a while and I may go ahead. I am still going to contact SIAI and discuss it with them.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
SIAI is the underwriter for SCI.

You have to be a member of SCI (or other organizations they work with) to insure your guns with SIAI.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I would have reccomended Sportsman's Insurance, but it appears that their website is no longer working.

http://www.siai.net/

Maybe someone here has their phone #.

Have you ever tried to make a claim with them?

One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
It is not correct that State Farm does not insure your firearms. I have mulitple guns insured under a personal prticles rider.I have a Heym on order and talked to my agent today about adding it.

Yes it is true that under your homeowners policy it would only be insured if your house receivd damage listed in the policy (burned, flooded, etc) and then only to $2500 max per item. However, under what is called a "Personal Articles" rider to your homeowners policy you add/insure individual items at a provable value and they are covered anywhere in the world (evcept fine art) for ANY loss or damage. That means stolen, run over, knocked over, whatever. The prices are very good, especially if you have a multiple policy discount. This is the only way to insure items above the $2500 limit State Farm applies it individual items within the home but it is VERY Broad.

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Collectible Insurance Agency

http://www.collectinsure.com/acrobat.htm

They have some of the best rates out there and my policy is underwritten by The Hartford.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote