THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Winchester Grand European 257 Roberts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Grand European 257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy picked one of these up today but no where on the Interwebz can either of us find the twist rare.

I do realize we can measure it with the old “mark a cleaning rod and measure the distance for one revolution” trick.

But it would be kind of nice to just use the easy button for a change.

Has her

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1109 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The twist rate may be of significance but I would check whether the barrels are regulated for any bullet weight. I had one in .30-06 and the barrels would not put any bullet weight closer than a foot at 50 yards, if that.

Posts: 5019 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience with their regulation, or lack therof.

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As popular as medium bore DR are in Germany, you can't give these away.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These rifles almost always have to be re-regulated to get them to shoot. Pick the Ammo/load you want to use, then send it to Aaron Little ot JJ Perodeau for regulation.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
.......…….Got one, and the word REGULATION doesn't seem to have been something that the builder ever heard of, if the way they shoot is any indication!

Beautiful little rifles but they all need re-regulating IMO!

…………………………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes Mac, mine was very pretty and came in a nice case with smart mounts, too.

I bought it s/h for $A1000 as a speculation, as their new price then was $US3500 (c. $A5000). Traded/sold it for $1600 value within the year, without lying about its regulation, so I can't really complain.

Posts: 5019 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Yes Mac, mine was very pretty and came in a nice case with smart mounts, too.

I bought it s/h for $A1000 as a speculation, as their new price then was $US3500 (c. $A5000). Traded/sold it for $1600 value within the year, without lying about its regulation, so I can't really complain.

I bought mine a good while ago, and found very quickly that the regulation was non-existant. I intended to have Arron Little re-regulate it but had a long stay in the hospital, and a couple of deaths in my family. By the time I got around to go ahead with the job Aaron had stopped doing all are most shop work, and started building double rifle full time and moved his operation to another part of Texas.

I guess I will have to see if I can find another smith who will take it on. I will not sell this thing to anyone else and if I can't find anyone else to do the work, I'll just have to continue to eat it an hang it in my trophy room and be done with it! J.J. might take it on, so I think I'll give him a call and see what he says. It is a 9.3X74R, and I have another double chambered for that round so I really don't need the Winchester!
…………………………………………………………………….This is an old story,and I have taken a lot of flack for the procrastination on this little rifle, and this post will likely start that all over again!

…………………………………………………….. 2020

……...

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, the barrels are not welded together, as some assert.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Hopefully, the barrels are not welded together, as some assert.

I think they my be silver soldered but I doubt they are welded!
I've been thinking I may have Arron simply cut the barrels off and sleeve in a pair of 30-30 Win barrels in and regulate them for 170 gr bullet factory loads. This thing would make a fine woods deer rifle.

…………………………………………………………………... old patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Mac
as a 257 Bob aficionado
OUCH

yes a 30-30 is a fine round

please don't kill a 257 DR
re-reg if needed

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful one in 270. I was badly disappointed in finding that at 50 yds, the second shot missed the whole target paper. This was 10 or 15 years ago. At the time, I contacted J.J and he was willing to work on regulating it. Instead, I finally decided to sell it at a substantial loss and move on.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
At the time I had mine, I'd actually invented an answer: a sight with a separate leaf for each barrel that switched under recoil inertia at each shot. Didn't bother to install it, though, as I'd promised my wife I'd make some money out of the rifle.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
Mac
as a 257 Bob aficionado
OUCH

yes a 30-30 is a fine round

please don't kill a 257 DR
re-reg if needed

Clan Colla, My rifle is chambered for 9.3X74R, and I think if the barrels are not safe to re-regulate I'll have them mono-blocked for a 450-400 3" if the barrels are thick enough to make a mono-block and still have enough wall thickness for it. If Not then it will be a 30-30 win. IN the later case it would be nice to be able to buy factory ammo in any country store in Texas.

I once had a 30-30 Win double made on a browning BSS side by side 20 ga shotgun, and I have regretted selling that rifle for forty years. This may be my chance to get another one!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, old patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 257 double that the buddy inquired about; it shoots 1.5 inch groups with each barrel at 200 yards and the top (second barrel) group impacts 6 inches high so it may not be a bolt but for that accuracy at 200 yrds i'm happy; these groups were little difference between a hand load and hornady factory 117gr

DRSS
B.Searcy 470 NE Stainless/extractors
B.Searcy 470 NE Blue/coin ejectors
J. winkler 375 h&h OU
j.winkler cape 20g/6mm rem
F Sodia cape 16g/8x57 jrs

Posts: 72 | Location: independence ,mo | Registered: 06 July 2011Reply With Quote