New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notice anything different?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris--I love the new stock. Hope to be placing an order for a PH in .450-3 1/4" next year to go with my PH in .450/.400-3" that leaves for Zim with me and my son in 23 days!

Bill E.

Posts: 70 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I like the changes as well. However I think I like the rounder style pankake like you put on my 577 a little better. Other than that every change is awesome....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I really like what has been done to make the stock look more traditional English. My only complaint (just personal taste) is the back of the action. I would much rather see the back action line either straight or straight with scallops. I think that would be a huge improvement to its looks.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I really like what has been done to make the stock look more traditional English. My only complaint (just personal taste) is the back of the action. I would much rather see the back action line either straight I think that would be a huge improvement to its looks.

465H&H

+1 although the Heyms shape isn't all that bad.
More importantly $1000 worth of minimal engraving would in my opinion be worth while.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I have a question for you. How do you keep the scaling out of the bores? From the pictures I am guessing these barrels are rough chambered?
Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: The middle of nowhere... Close to somewhere. | Registered: 23 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Notice anything different?

I was able to handle this rifle yesterday.
These modifications make it handle quite a bit better IMHO.
I really lke the reciever modifications as it makes the grip of the stock feel great.

I like it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like this rifle so much I just placed an order for one in 450/400 Smiler

Let the wait begin.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like this rifle so much I just placed an order for one in 450/400

Let the wait begin.

Congrats!! How long before delivery?

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Like this rifle so much I just placed an order for one in 450/400 Smiler

Let the wait begin.

Good to see.

I am sure you will do fine with this DR.

Good product and good back up.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
quote:
Like this rifle so much I just placed an order for one in 450/400

Let the wait begin.

Congrats!! How long before delivery?

Normal build time was quoted as four months but this one will be delayed by another two months or so because the stock fitting will be conducted when I visit Chris at his SCI booth in Feb.
Decided I would rather wait a little longer to insure the stock fits me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BIG question. Price point as shown?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW...not bad at all....and I dont blame you waiting to get fitted.....might as well get it all exactly right.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:

Starting at $17,000 per their website.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

"Starting at" is a relative term.

For $17,000, you get:

> Automatic Ejectors
> Intercepting Sears
> Articulated Front Trigger
> Shoe-Lump Barrels (chopper lump at extra cost)
> Cocking Indicators
> Non-Automatic Safety
> Stocked to Fit (Right or Left Hand)
> Your choice of barrel lengths
> No engraving (we thought intercepting sears would be more appreciated)

You can upgrade wood or add some engraving, etc... but the emphasis on this model is in the mechanics.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Starting at" is a relative term.

For $17,000, you get:

> Automatic Ejectors
> Intercepting Sears
> Articulated Front Trigger
> Shoe-Lump Barrels (chopper lump at extra cost)
> Cocking Indicators
> Non-Automatic Safety
> Stocked to Fit (Right or Left Hand)
> Your choice of barrel lengths
> No engraving (we thought intercepting sears would be more appreciated)

You can upgrade wood or add some engraving, etc... but the emphasis on this model is in the mechanics.

How is that "relative"?
It doesn't start at $17,000?

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the "thing" about a Heym double rifle...

It does not matter if you buy the PH model for $17,000, or buy one with "extras", better wood, more engraving, etc... that costs 25 Million dollars.

The same barrels, same mechanics, same attention to regulation, are in ALL of the rifles Heym builds.

I have been to the factory, first and foremost they build a RIFLE, it is up to you to make it as pretty/fine as you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, let me add, that the PH Model came about because of real African PH's, comming to Chris and asking for a Heym double rifle with "no frills", as to make it nore affordable for them.

They had seen their clients with Heym Double rifles, and liked the way they handled and recognized how Well they were built.

They talked to Chris, and he went to the owner of Heym and thus the PH Model was born...

You can find out the number of PH's that use Heyms by going to the Heym USA Web site.

They bought them with their hard earned money.

It was ALL, Heym double rifle with no "frills".

It has become popular with hunters as well.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Who's arguing?
A reader asked what one costs, I posted the answer from the website. On that website, they start at $17,000 and go up depending on what additional features one might want.
Why be defensive?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who's arguing?
A reader asked what one costs, I posted the answer from the website. On that website, they start at $17,000 and go up depending on what additional features one might want.
Why be defensive?

Probably because when you are in sales, you see far too many people refer and compare the prices but without looking at what you actually get for the price.

"ie ($ are examples only) Oh, a Merkel DR in 9.3 is $8500
where as a Sabatti is only $5500".

Consumers are very good at looking at price without understanding things like
build quality or value.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, but Chris did list the features about half way down the first page.

Unless I missed something, this thread has been universally positive in both comment and tone - until I answered a simple and legitimate question with a fact based on published information. No malice intended, implied or could be imagined from either the question or the answer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc

If you are refering to my posts, I ment them to be informative not defensive. If you do not see them that way then the problem is with you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think newguy was trying to say that "starting at" is a relative term compared to what other companies provide at the basic level, that the Heym "starts" with several features that are considered extra by other companies.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . . .
Why be defensive?

And I appreciate the input. For some reason in reading the thread, I either mis-read, did not read, had a brain phart, or whatever, and was looking for priciing on what I thought was an "80 PH", not the 88 PH. Having looked at the web site and pricing and not seeing an "80 PH", I assumed the DR being discussed was "hot off the press" and not yet cataloged or shown/priced on the web site.

I shuld go without saying that the Heym PH is a beautiful DR and meets the needs of those that inspired its creation.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I like the changes as well. However I think I like the rounder style pankake like you put on my 577 a little better. Other than that every change is awesome....

Mac

After looking at it a bit more, I agree.

Here is version 2.0... some changes in the nose too. A minor tweak or two and all should be well.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure does look nice. I can only dream about one though....

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do post pics of the progress it goes through. It would be fun to watch it morph into the final product.

quote:
It is the finished product.....!!

Now that right there has got to hurt!

I think we were expecting a very fine amount of engraving and a nice case blue or rust blue......

I hate to say it, but in SS (if that is what it is) it looks a little too Rugerish for my $$.

But a beautiful rifle none the less.

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoyB:

quote:
It is the finished product.....!!

Now that right there has got to hurt!

I think we were expecting a very fine amount of engraving and a nice case blue or rust blue......

I hate to say it, but in SS (if that is what it is) it looks a little too Rugerish for my $$.

But a beautiful rifle none the less.

It looks like you need to go up to the "SAFARI" for that light engraving for about $6000 more.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
for about $6000 more

Money is a relative thing........to some poor soul that hasn't worked in years and is eating at the Food Bank, $6 is a lot of money. For most of the folks on this particular forum (author excluded!) I would guess $6000 for some metal scratchings isn't going to starve the kids!

All relative........

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice DR! jorge is right about the illness. . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

Mac

Mac

After looking at it a bit more, I agree.

Here is version 2.0... some changes in the nose too. A minor tweak or two and all should be well.

Much better.....I like it alot....oh no....your probably going to sell me another one at the shows this year....haha

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote