New
Find
Notify
Tools

B5 500/416 to the range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First trip to the range with my double, my wife and 10 rounds (400 grain hornady, 108 grain H1000, federal magnum primers, oal 4 inches). 500/416 NE.

Shot at 100m target placed at 50m standing position two shots inside the 9 ring. Then two shot sitting (no sling or rest) around 1.5 inches apart (only horisontal spread). Then moved the target to 100m, flipped up the 100m leaf sight and shot around 2 inches apart (high 4s). Then 2 more aiming at the lowes part of the black "rolling", put 2 shots in the uppper part of the black (10 and high 8). Guess the 100m leaf sight is a 200m leaf with my eyes...

I thought doubles in heavy calibers were load sensitive and difficult to shoot... I would not have done better with an unscoped bolt with express sights!

It barks and kicks plenty but as long as I am not too lax in the grip it comes back for the second shot fast. My wife is pregnant and left the range because of the concussions and increased kicking of the baby Smiler

I just LOVE this rifle and caliber!

Going to work up loads loading on site as I shoot from a bench, but what a good start!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2 That 108 grain load is exactly what I use.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .500/.416 is a wonderful cartridge, among the best most recent cartridges developed, because it gives that wonderful .416 Rigby performance with less pressure in a rimmed case, much more suitable for a double rifle. In my rifle, it drove the bullet a measured five full feet through the skull of a bull elephant, before getting to the brain, outstanding performance. If you like the .375 H. & H, you will love the .416 Rigby and the .500/.416 too, even if the unborn baby doesn't like it!!

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norsk, one of the things you have to decide is whether you will use a 6 o'clock or 3 o'clock (center) hold when target shooting. One hold point may give better accuracy due to better sight picture than the other.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote