THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Chapuis range report - Week 2 -- What have we learned???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chapuis range report - Week 2 -- What have we learned???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted
Just back from the second week/second session with the new Chapuis, about 25 rounds today.

Here's what we got from last week's homework assignment:

NE 450 No 2, Bill Cooley, Tomo, et al suggested getting some of the factory ammo that it was test-fired with (I'm still not willing to use the word "regulated" in reference to this rifle), and to try that at 50 yards, particularly with open sights, to try to duplicate the factory test target. Here it is:

The only conclusions I can draw is that it shoots WAY low to the sights, is crossing with Norma factory ammo, and I really should be using a scope. Also, I probably don't have much of a future shooting test targets for a manufacturer......

Shooting the same Norma factory ammo at 50 yards with the scope on:

Maybe the ridiculous group size isn't a reflection of my old eyes, but the gun doesn't like its' "regulation" load any better than anything else. The left barrel is still consistently low, but at least there's a hint that the barrels aren't crosing....

Back to what Tomo called " LOADED FROM HOME WITH LOVING HANDS AMMO" and some of the recipes you all suggested:

63 Grains of IMR 4831:

Not crossing but left barrel way low, 5" groups:

Going to 65 grains:

Again not crossing, left barrel low, about a 4" group at 50 yards, which is starting to look good to me...

Trying 55.0 of 4064:

Slight crossing, pretty much on a horizontal line, but group still too damn big.

Just to see what the "best" load of 65/4831 would do if we moved out to 100 yards:

That's a 0.6" right-barrel group, a 5" left barrel group, and a 5.5" composite group. The L2 shot was a called flier high/right(should have kept my mouth shut) so a third left was fired; L3 was called dead-center.

Everything today was 286 Nosler Partitions, new RWS brass, Win LR primers,

Next week I'm going to shoot the 20 guage barrels with round slugs and no sights to see if that's an improvement...............

Seriously, what I think I know is: The left barrel shoots low most, but not all of the time. The barrels cross most, but not all of the time. It doesn't care for Norma factory ammo.

What else have we learned, and what do we try next?????

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'll donate some factory S&B 285gr sp's to your efforts, if you can tell me how to ship them to you... i bought 8 boxes from cabela's in april 2006 in anticipation of the ruger #1 9,3 that still hasn't been made yet....it would be interesting to see if this is any different...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LRH270

First clean your bbls very well.
I would load 20 rounds with 65 gr of 4831 and the Nosler Partition.
Go back to the range and shoot at 50 and 100 yards. Be sure and allow the rifle to completely cool between the 50 and 100 yard groups.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I just posted comments about accuracy of double rifles and noted that reports similar to yours show up quite a bit and see that you are shooting at 50 yards and doubt the group will shrink much at 100 yards, don't you?? The same brand you have is one I have been considering but would hope the performance can be much improved with yours. Have you spoken with someone at the factory,distributor, dealer, etc. about the accuracy you are seeing?? Hopefully this is not a normal performance, but got to believe there are lots of folks on this site that can improve the situation for you. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
jimatcat-

Thanks for the offer.
pm sent

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
It looks like your 4064 and 4831 loads are close. Did you say you are using large rifle primers? If so you may try Fed 215 with this long case. I also think you should try a few other bullets. It looks to me like you are getting close with your load.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graf's has the PRVI Partizan 285gr bullets for $19.95 per hundred, and (I believe) loaded ammunition pretty reasonable.
Might invest in a box of those to try out.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LRH270

SORRY, REALLY SORRY, that despite all the good suggestions and load information i refer you to my earlier post regarding using factory ammo.

since the rifle WILL NOT SHOOT FACTORY AMMO TO THE SIGHTS IT IS DEFECTIVE.

suggest you immediately call dale nygaard

1-320-963-5551

and find out how chapuis wants to handle this :

will they pay to have the rifle re-regulated in usa

or will they take it back to france to fix it

or will they give you a new properly regulated rifle in exchange for yours. (and maybe a free upgrade for all your inconvenience)

imho you have gone far beyond the call of duty trying all kinds of handloads when it won't even shoot with factory ammo. it is SUPPOSED to shoot with off the shelf ammo.

i cannot imagine a reputable supplier would not want to immediately offer a solution .

pls let us know what dale says, ok.

GOOD LUCK, TOM

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LRH270,

Bought my 9.3 from JJ. I duplicated the "regulation" load velocity and bullet weight. My rifle was to be regulated with scope per my request. Used five different style bullets of the 286 weight. Left barrel crosses about 3.5" high at about 45 degrees.

JJ has had the rifle since late summer. He is having trouble getting it to shoot properly.

You and I have the exceptional rifles. Hope you have a better turn around than I am experiencing.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 243Win that shoots like that (a Merkel) but only does it if you don't shoot the second barrel immediately after the first. When developing loads I try to fire the second barrel within 8 seconds.

Best of luck,

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you shoot a lot with open sights or are you used to shooting with a scope?

Has anyone suggested you put the target a little closer to the muzzle ... say at 25 yards, shoot some factory ammo and see if this helps the grouping.

Also, the target you're using, while good for a scope with crosshairs, might not have the best aiming point for use with open sights ----- let me suggest take something circular (4" maybe) and outline it on the target and then darken it except for the middle inch or so and see if that makes it easier to get a better sight picture.

Last suggestion, and I don't mean to be insulting, but do you know anyone who you would trust to shoot it and see how they do?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Few seem to accept the fact that defects occasionally make it through some QC inspections...

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WY,
Excellent point. If they are unable to get it to shoot well after they claimed they regulated it with a scope on isnt an easy pill to swallow.
Best of luck with getting it repaired to your satisfaction.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Just to follow up (and to be fair) Dale has been in contact with me twice today. He's talking to Chapuis about how they are going to make it right, and reassures me that he won't be satisfied until I am.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD GOING !!

now you're on the right track.

you got a lot of helpful info and loading data to use when they finally get you a shooter !

hang in there, better days are coming

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i shipped the promised S&B ammunition to lrh270 today... so he ought to be able to try that factory 285gr sp's,..... to see it that load will shoot....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I have to be in Kansas City through Saturday (daytime highs 31-32 while it's 70 here!), but I will do it on Sunday if I'm thawed out by then.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I would do any other changes use the powders that are working the best for you and change your WLR primers for the F-215 magnum primers. I believe you might see a huge difference, of course the chamber pressure will be somewhat higher. I would also try some 300 grain bullets, swift makes one, I'm not sure if any other bullet manufacture does. If your shots are crossing over at 50 yds either one of these changes might keep that from happening.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LRH
I would also recommend you try some 286 Woodleigh Softs.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote