THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Location of rear sling swivel loop on vintage British guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Location of rear sling swivel loop on vintage British guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Farquharson that has been restocked. It has a "big eye" loop on the barrel for a sling swivel. I need to put one on the rear. American rifles seem to have their loop located around 3" from the toe of the stock. British guns have it closer to the trigger. Would someone measure a vintage rifle or two and suggest a location for the rear loop. I have one of the "big eye" loops to match the one on the barrel.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Good question.
There seems to be nothing standard in this measurement.
Some of my doubles have the eye 3-4" ahead of the toe.
Others are between the oval and the grip cap, nearly 2x the above distance from the toe.
Another, without an oval, is 6" from the toe.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the silver or gold oval placement on the butt there WILL be a "house" style according to the gun maker.

For example the silver or gold oval on any Boss is usually, as my gunsmith in Birmingham says, "too bloody high".

My advice would be to trawl the internet for images of rifles of the same make and see what you can see. Sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.

Or, ask this guy:

Or contact the British HBSA (Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association) whose members will surely own such weapons. They have a website.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more images...some helpful try this blog link..some not...Westley's might help?

http://mwreynolds.com/SHOOTING/jeffery303british5.jpg

http://jamesdjulia.com/wp-cont...ages/org/45111x4.jpg

Essentially you want original rifles NOT ones that have been re-stocked or tinkered with after manufacture.

www.theexplora.com

My late friend, Clifford Owen, had a Gibbs-Farquhason-Metford in .461" calibre. But from memory that had no sling swivels at all and was carried when not in use in a slip.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Put it just as that 303 Jeffery Farq. Can't go wrong copying that one.
I don't even remember why I ever sold that gun...

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote