New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently run accross an opportunity to buy a Merkel double in 416 Rigby. It's being offered for $5000. I know little to nothing about doubles other than some light reading on these boards. I am planning a Buffalo / Sable for the 08 timeframe and have always been fascinated by doubles. The gun appears to be in very good shape. There is very little engaraving and appears to be of recent manufacture. I am told that the current owner is the original owner. He is selling due to health issues. I would appreciate any feedback onthe rifle or caliber for my intended purpose. Thank you.

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great price. however, there were some reports on Merkels in 416 coming off face. The 416 generates too much pressure for a double. But for the number of times you will buffalo it will be fine.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All things being equal (condition, etc.), it sounds like a deal. That said, I'd make sure the rifle fits you decently before I bought it. If it doesn't fit you, it wouldn't be very interesting, except to resell.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am overly suspicious, too much ttime in law enforcement, but that seems like an awfully low price. I would have some one like JJ check it out before I bought it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Merkel....but it's a 470. I would'nt be big on the rimless 416...but others don't seem to mind. Not only can JJ tell you if it's tight, but can put a pad on it to adjust LOP for you...they come w/o pad. That being said, good luck. I feel they are a very solid double for the money...and at $5000, that's a real good price.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. Intuitively I thought the price was quite good. And yes I will have it checked out before buying.

Now I beg your indulgence for a few really dumb questions. First, what is a good online or print source for basic double information and terminology. Second if the 416 round is "rimless" how is it ejected?

How's that for uninformed?

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Here is probably the best single source for fine gun terminology on the net:

http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 model has a really quirky ejector design that a lot of folks would (and have) classify as skimpy. There have been unsubstaintiated reports of ejectors slipping off cases.

For what it's worth, I considered this for a long time for the same reason (price and liking the 416). However, I finally dropped the idea because, while the 416's are usually dirt cheap, I never actually saw one sell. Some of the same guns I looked at over a year ago were still for sale a few weeks ago. My personal impression is that they are essentially unsellable, and you had better want to keep it if you buy one.

Too bad they aren't 416/500's.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first started getting interested in double rifles, there were a fair number of good deals on Merkels in 416 Rigbys and 375H&H's. I was talked out of getting one by people on this board. Reasons were as stated above: pressures too high and the rounds were not rimmed. I do not believe that these calibers were good sellers. In fact, some of the deals were from the importer (demos). I waited and eventually got a Kreighoff in 500/416. FWIW, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thank you all. 577, that link was exactlywhat I was lookin for, thank you. I feel now that I'm a terribly uneducated buyer and I need to rectify that before I make such a commitment. I'd also like to fire several of the classic calibers associated with doubles before buying so that I'm assured that I can handle the recoil. Would firing these calibers from a bolt gun be comperable? Not many double rifles where I live.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much gunsmithing it would take to rechamber it to 500/416.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rigby is, I believe, just slightly larger for its entire length (at least according to a quick look at the dimensions in my conversion manual). If it were around .01 smaller, you could simply rechamber and pray for regulation . As it is, you would have to set the barrels back , which means new barrels.

If there were a slightly fatter 3" rimmed case, a wildcat would be in order.

It would be possible to blow the body out slightly with a custom chamber, as far as the front part goes, but the base is 0.oo9 larger on the Rigby, and you couldn't move the web section that much.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the caliber, the price is too high. These are almost impossible to sell for all of the above reasons. It can be converted to .500/.416 by sleeving the chambers, but that isn't worth the trouble. I've heard several reports of Merkels in .416 Rigby freezing shut when fired, something I've haven't heard of with the other calibers.

The Merkels are usually good, serviceable rifles with a few modifications. A nice used one in .470 would be a much better choice and will be much easier to sell.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I shot a 416 Rigby Merkel in South Texas quite a bit without trouble, FWTW. Sounds like it was bought when new Merkel 416s were selling for around $6500.

If you handload you can drop the pressure and velocity to around 2200 and still have a useful double that will work well but it will never have the resale value that another caliber better suited to doubles would have. I would try to knock another $1000 off the price if it were me so that I could have it re-regulated with the lesser load.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote