New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoped Double Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As many of you know I am a BIG advocate of a scoped double rifle. I have used my scoped 9,3x74R Chapuis with great success. I have killed @ 50% of game taken with this rifle with a scope. I have used the rifle scoped on 2 African Safaris to Zim, the first 21 days the second 30 days.

I have found a scoped double so useful that I took my 450/400 3 1/4" double to JJ Perodeau to have a Schmidt & Bender 1-4x scope with illuminated reticle fitted with claw mounts.
I picked up the double today. The scope is mounted as low as possible. When hyou shnoulder the rifle it is PERFECT. The scope did not change the handling of the rifle at all, it still handles like a British double.
[400Nitro, JJ told me to tell you not to have a Panic Attack Big Grin].
IMHO the addition of the scope has made a great double rifle into the PERFECT DOUBLE RIFLE.

I will have it at the DRSS hunt for their unbaised opinions.

I also picked up a buddies Chapuis 470 that he had JJ scope. Again the double handled great.

A scope on a double offers the same advantages as it does on a bolt rifle, It enables you to aim better and hit better. With a scope in QD mounts you can use it when you need/want it, take it off when you don't.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
[400Nitro, JJ told me to tell you not to have a Panic Attack ].

animal
He will get over it! jumping

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one had a good scoped 400 double he could live and hunt happily for the rest of his life with nothing else.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
els
I must warn you, with a statement like that you are a candidate for a Tar and Feathering by certain factions of the DRSS.
Take appropiate security measures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
els
After using my scoped 450/400 in Zimbabwe
I must say your statement is spot on.

A scoped 9,3x74R and a scoped 450/400 is a perfect pair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a shame you didn't get your 450 # 2 scoped - that is certainly a far better cal than the old 450/400.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
a shame you didn't get your 450 # 2 scoped - that is certainly a far better cal than the old 450/400.

Roll Eyes boohoo animal animal animal

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tomo
While I see nothing wrong with scoping a double in the 450/470 class I disagree with your statement a little, as you must state how the 450 No2 is better than the 450/400.
The key here is better for what.

The 450 No2 is probably my favorite cartridge, my No2 double is my favorite rifle.

However the 450/400 is much superior to any other double rifle calibre as an all-rounder.

A scope in QD mounts really enhances the hunt ability of my 400.

The claw mounts are INSTANT ON, INSTANT OFF.
a PERFECT SET UP.

I think ALL 400 doubles should be scoped, not necessarialy so with bigger doubles.

However if a fella has a hard time using express sights I do not care if he puts a "red dot" sights on his 577 or 600 Nitro.
In that case I would recommend the Blaser Hit Pro made by S&B.

I would probably never scope my 450 No2. When/if I get to the point I cannot use iron sights, I will go to the 400 full time, the 400 will be a better choice as it is lighter and kicks less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to concur with the scoped double clan. I have used 3 scoped doubles in Africa, 450/400,470 and 8mm. I find that taking the shot is much easier, especially at game in the shade and over 50 yards distant. Of course this comment hinges on the use of quick release scope rings and low power scopes.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I totally agree, I will be scoping my 400 soon. I also found, just like shikarafar1, that shooting animals in the shade while you were in the sun, is very problematic for older eyes and iron sights. If I had been scoped on my recent safari, I believe I would have taken my second buff. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lee
I recommend you have JJ put claw mounts on your 450/400.
Think about a S&B 1.1-4 with the flash dot reticle.

Both worth every penny.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find that taking the shot is much easier, especially at game in the shade and over 50 yards distant.

Even at 40 yards I have found that its hard to line up on Buff in Jesse. A scope is ideal.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Tony, That is pretty much my plan, though with a 1-3/4 x 5 Leupold. The S&B is a bit more than I want to spend!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee
The Leupold will work fine. I do recommend you get it with the illuminated reticle, worth every penny.

Even sometimes in the bright part of the day, in the thick bush there are dark shodows, with black buffalo in them Eeker , the illuminated reticles are very handy then.

Also good for pigs in TX. Big Grin