THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    K B5 Aimpoint micro or Docter Sight III? Mounting options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K B5 Aimpoint micro or Docter Sight III? Mounting options?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have been shooting a bit open sights on the range with my new Krieghoff 500/416. Accuracy is beautiful and putting 2 shots within an inch at 50 is not difficult.

I have shot a lot with iron sights and am comfortable with it but feel they cover a bit too much of the animal/target. This is not optimal since we use dogs barking at the moose (elkhounds) and it is important to be aware of their position (jumping around the moose) before taking the shot.

So I have narrowed my choise of optics down to aimpoint micro or docter sight. I do not need magnification and the less sight the better as long as it is rugged.

So far they seem to be equal with regards to build quality and what is most important to me is mounting options on the K-gun. I want the sight to be mounted as low as possible (ideally so low i can see my iron sights through the glass (but I guess that may not be possible). As I understand QD mounts will be higher than fixed mounts.

The K b5 has an intergral rear scope mount (held with two screews) and I was hoping i could mount a red dot low after removing it (but do not know if that is possible).

What sight would in your opinion be best?
What kind of mount should I get?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Docter Optic.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
What did they change with the Docter III?

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello.

I made this mount for myself.

This year at DSC at the Krieghoff booth Pam of Alamo had a K gun with a factory mounted Doctor.
Pam was going to check with Germany to see if this was going to be an option.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking mount. Is there a particular reason for mounting the sight forward and not all the way to the rear? Did you have to drill holes for the mount?

Regards Bernt

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi Norsk,

Regarding to what kind of hunt you use your Krieghoff for, I would suggest the AIMPOINT Micro as the better alternative compared to a Docter Sight III.

The main reason is that the Docter Sight has a tendence to collect Spruce and Pine needles, snow and dirt when you walk through thick forests with your dog.

Look at the Docter Sight III above, and you realise how much snow and dirt that can be picked up in the "pocket" that is created in the sight design, looking from the aiming side (hope that you understand what I mean)

Concerning durability and dependability, nothing comes close to the AIMPOINT Micro sight as you can see on this movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HEefl1KI4

The German company Henneberger makes all kinds of bases for both Aimpoint and Docter sights:

http://www.henneberger.de/

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also Aimpoint make a dedicated mount for the K gun for the micro...just switched out the Burris and Leupold Delta points on my K gun for the Aimpoint and am very happy- Still have a Delta on my 9,3...but then I have a home built and taylored mount for it as well that just fits me perfectly.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also made my own base similar to that of
nitro450exp. Works fine with a Trijicon RMR. on my rig.
Whole thing weighs 3 oz. I don't use this gun in ice and snow though.
2 1/2 years ago when I started the project, I
contacted Mike & Pam to see what was available.
Nothing at that time and NO HELP from Krieghoff.
Maybe they have gotten a little smarter now.

Good Hunting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if these type of sights can be mounted on Talley bases?......or is that pretty much a custom job?

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good arguments for the Aimpoint. I think i will go with that. Had an Aimpoint Comp on a 38 super ipsc gun i ran around 30 rounds through no problem and am familiar with the design.

Who sells the dedicated aimpint micro mounts for the K B5?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint- comes built into the micro. clip on, clip off and returns to zero every time....

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I of course meant 30k rounds btw Smiler

So are you saying i can just take off the "cap" mounted with hex screws on the k-gun and clip on the micro with integrated mount? If that is correct it sounds awesome.. And that is for the K- Big five also?

Looking at aimpoint.com i only see mounts spesific for Merkel...

Maybe this is the one you mean?

Mount LRP Micro

Art. No. 12905

Lever Release Picatinny Mount for Micro sights.
Return to zero after dismounting.
Screws, Micro tool and thread sealer included.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called my local aimpoint and krieghoff dealer and they told me aimpoint cooperated with a company called Hennenberger that makes the micro mount for Krieghoff classic doubles. As i understand it is a weaver mount and one has to modify the existing "cap" (rear scope mount). They did not know of a qd lever that would work but thought it may be possible.

Is this the mount you are thinking of?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My K B5 is now at the shop for mounting the Micro sight. They can now be gotten with 2 moa dot (not only 4 as prevously). That is perfect for a double used up to 150 meters.

The mount is made by Henneberger for Aimpoint. It is not a QD mount, it has the be removed with tools, but I figure a sight like this is only removed if it is broken so I don't see the need for taking it off quickly. Scopes would be a different matter tho. Also getting 1 more inch recoul pad on it so it fits me better (no more thumb in nose Wink