New
Find
Notify
Tools

DR ?????'s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am committed to purchasing Merkel Mod. 141-1.1 double rifle which I will take delivery sometime prior to March. Rifle is approx. 10 years old and awaiting to see if it is the screw adj. for regulation or not, but in either case, have questions on regulating the gun. Is the POI for the two barrels supposed to be on the same horizontal plane, as in OO and if so at what range would one look for such a group? Caliber is 308Win., twist is 1in10 and the barrels are 21.60" in length. I believe the rifle was orginially regulated for 180gr bullets, but as of now do not know at what charge/velocity? Once that is all sorted out can one expect accuracy that would give concistant impact on say a 10" pie plate from either barrel at 100yds? I certainly do not expect match rifle accuracy and of course the shooter has a lot to do with it?? Should mention the rifle has "issue" open iron sights. My useage will be almost always within 100yd range. Have been told that the rifle is very, very stiff to open and close and I assume that is a good thing?? I have discovered that this double rifle quest is all consuming and apprciate any feedback/answers.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a 141(e) that shoots an inch at 100 yards with a scope. I would not be at all happy with a ten inch group. 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards with iron sights is probably attainable... at least, hopefully so. Big Grin

You should ask if the front trigger has a "set" function. Mine does and it really helps with the first shot.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 21.60" double in 308 would be a very good hunting rifle IMHO.

I would think you could expect 3 inch or less groups at 100 yards, even if the regulation is not adjustable.

Give us more details when you get the gun.

If it is still hard to open it probably has not been used much. thumb

Or maybe it is just pretty rusty.... Eeker shocker

Big Grin Sorry could not resist.

I have shot the 21" Merkel in 9,3x74R and I like it.

It is neat... sweet.... petite...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why of course it has rust, Merkel rust of course, and they are very proud of thier rust I might add.(good one!) Good point about the set trigger, did not ask, but will do so. Noticed in current catalog the front set trigger is std., but due to age of this one, may not have??

As for the pie plate(actually 9") @ 100yds. something I have used for off hand practice for quite a few years and if the rifle will group within that circle, is good for my puroses. Of course I would like for it to group considerably less from some sort of rest/bag but will have to suffer this long winter to find out. Thanks for the feedback.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Am committed to purchasing Merkel Mod. 141-1.1 double rifle which I will take delivery sometime prior to March. Rifle is approx. 10 years old and awaiting to see if it is the screw adj. for regulation or not, but in either case, have questions on regulating the gun. Is the POI for the two barrels supposed to be on the same horizontal plane, as in OO and if so at what range would one look for such a group? Caliber is 308Win., twist is 1in10 and the barrels are 21.60" in length. I believe the rifle was orginially regulated for 180gr bullets, but as of now do not know at what charge/velocity? Once that is all sorted out can one expect accuracy that would give concistant impact on say a 10" pie plate from either barrel at 100yds? I certainly do not expect match rifle accuracy and of course the shooter has a lot to do with it?? Should mention the rifle has "issue" open iron sights. My useage will be almost always within 100yd range. Have been told that the rifle is very, very stiff to open and close and I assume that is a good thing?? I have discovered that this double rifle quest is all consuming and apprciate any feedback/answers.

martin

I have my doubts that the Mod 141.1 double rifle is 10 yrs old. the first one I ever saw was about four yrs ago! The 141.1 is built on the 28 ga size action, and has adjustable regulation. the mod before that was the 140-1 which was made on the 20 ga size action, and the regulation is not adjustable. My 140E 9.3X74R was bought new in 2001, and weighs 8.3 pounds, the 141 has a 1" shorter barrel set, and is very light. I would say the mod 141 is no more than five yrs old at the most. Brain1 who posts on AR and Judge also has one and loads for it, so some good info is available here on AR.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37,
You are correct about the age for I went back and checked some of the data on the rifle and it is as you say. Built on 28gauge frame and light, in the 6lb. range. Had in mind another rifle I am in process of purchasing and misquoted.
Is there a helpfull group out there similar to AA for gun buyers? I think I need to talk with them.

martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD...you're right; a 12-Step Program for rifle nuts is sorely needed! So far, the only 12-step program I'm interested in is getting within 12 steps of a Cape Buff or Jumbo before I let loose with the double!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think all you will find around here are a bunch of DR enablers Big Grin
I have yet to find on any of the gun sites I visit, someone who will talk me out of a purchase, unless it is a POS they are thinking about.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote